Technology cleaning removed chain from old grease
The classic and, in fact, the best method for cleaning a bike is to throw it in a can of solvent, RINSE or set it to sour. A whole technique has been developed on this score:
- Remove the chain (disconnect the lock or use a squeeze).
- Dip it into a bottle (for convenience, use a bottle with a wide neck) or a jar / vessels.
- Pour solvent into the container in such a volume that the liquid completely covers the chains.
- Close the container and shake it for 3-5 minutes or let it stand for at least 15 minutes.
- Drain mining.
- Pour in detergent (Fairy water) and shake for 3-5 minutes.
- Take out and dry the chains (leave overnight, put in the sun or on the oven, blow through with a hairdryer).
- Brush the stars.
- Put on tenaciously.
In the topic of how to choose a chain for a bicycle. It has been said more than once that you should not be afraid of using split locks. This is not a weak link! A properly installed quick-release latch will NOT spontaneously disengage. Experienced cyclists have repeatedly noted that they saw a lot of torn bike chains in some of their native links and only a few of them were torn through the castle.
Why wash twice: first with a solvent and then with water-based detergents? The fact is that oil liquids do not evaporate well, and the grease does NOT adhere to the surfaces covered with them.
The dishwashing detergent degreases well, and after drying, the applied bike lubricant adheres perfectly to the gaps. Some cyclists practice blowing each link with a compressor, after which it can be immediately lubricated.
What is more convenient to do
Wash tenaciously immediately after the trip, immediately clean the cassette and system stars. Lubricate the chain before the next ride. It will dry out at night, so you will NOT have to waste time drying.
To wash less often, or NOT to do it at all, find out how to lubricate the bike chain at home. And how to do it correctly. Do not put grease on the entire cycle chain: it is needed only in the friction zone, but NOT outside, and even more so on the stars.
Technology # 1: how to clean a bicycle chain, not remove it from the bike
How to improve the cleaning properties of the machine
Attach neodymium magnets opposite the brushes. To do this, on the one hand, it is enough to equip the quick-release fasteners.
Alexander described the improvement of the washing properties of a product after attracting a magnetic field:
“Vedashka”. This is not a lubricant, but a classic degreaser (solvent) based on kerosene. Brush off the old grease with a clean rag, put a rag on the brake rotor, blow a cleaner through each link. In total, it takes 5 minutes.
Active residents of bicycle forums say that such cleaning is NOT beneficial. It is suspected that external dirt is being pushed inward, making the contact pairs worse. The reason for this is the bending crunch that appears after blowing. It has been argued that it is better to simply wipe the outside of the bike chain and lubricate than going to each WD-40 Joint.
However, if you have adopted the method, you can use any automobile degreaser under pressure:
- Carburetor cleaner, e.g. ABRO CARB CHOKE CLEANER.
- Fast evaporating degreaser such as Liqui Moly Schnell Reiniger
- Detergent for the engine compartment of a car, for example, Turtle Wax Engine Cleaner.
Use a rag to remove the old grease from the bike, then brush over each link and each star with a toothbrush. For improved cleaning performance Use two brushes, wrapping them with duct tape so that the bristles are oriented towards each other.
The method is ineffective and is positioned as a hopeless express method due to major disadvantages:
- Metal dust is NOT removed.
- Dirt inside the rollers is NOT washed out.
- In case of heavy contamination, the old grease only spreads along other links, and is not removed.
How to clean a bike chain at home
The task of cleaning is a solution, and then wash out all the dirt from the gaps. This can be done in two ways: directly on the bike or dismantle the chain.
How and what to clean a bicycle chain at home
Dripping a bike lubricant on a dirty one is like riding a dry one: the effect is the same. It is not necessary to write textbooks to understand that the dirt dissolved by the lubricant will penetrate into the pin-roller contact pair, which makes the wasps waste their seats much faster. The chain will lengthen before the spacing position, and the stars will last less. Therefore, first washing, then drying, and only then processing with a lubricant.
The chain-washing machine is a split structure, inside which there are several rollers with brushes. A caustic solution is poured inside, tenaciously starts up between the bristles, the pedals spin. the object is washed. It is a pleasure to clean with this tool: it is quick, convenient and hands are clean.
- Clean the bike chain with a rag.
- Fill the chain wash with detergents.
- Install Cleaning Equipment on a Chain.
- Make several turns with the pedals, holding the machine.
- Remove the chain wash and drain the solution.
- Repeat steps 2, 3, 4, 5 until the cleaning liquid is clear.
- Dry the chain for 1-1.5 hours.
- Brush the stars.
- Lubricate the links.
Many bicycle owners are interested in how often to clean tenaciously. It all depends on the features of vehicle operation. People who regularly drive on dusty dirt roads will have to clean up quite often. These rides cause particles of dust, debris, sand and dirt to accumulate on the surface of the chain. They lead to a deterioration in the functioning of the links and to the appearance of a characteristic crackling sound. In this case, you will have to inspect and clean the part at least once a week.
Sometimes you have to drive on a muddy road after rain. After such trips, it tenaciously clogs up with mud, which makes it almost impossible to pedal. After each such trip, you will have to remove the chain, clean it and lubricate it with oil.
There are several ways that will help to clean stubborn dirt and debris.
Turpentine is a colorless liquid that is created from conifers and their resinous components. Such a liquid is used in various spheres of life. It is used in the manufacture of fragrant perfumes, in the textile industry and in the creation of paints and varnishes for wood.
Liquid in the amount of 450-550 milliliters is poured into a saucepan or bowl. Then a dirty chain is placed in it, which must be soaked for 15-20 hours. The soaked part is dried, lubricated and installed on the bike.
There are several lubrication rules that you should be familiar with before introducing a substance:
- During lubrication, liquid is dripped pointwise onto each link of the product. At the same time, it is necessary to apply oil so that it gets inside the rollers.
- After applying the liquid, you will have to tenaciously scroll several times. This is done so that the applied lubricant is better distributed.
- At the end of lubrication, the product is thoroughly wiped with a cloth. If this is not done and oil remains on the chain, it will collect all dirt particles on its surface.
How to clean your bike chain yourself and the best cleaners
The main unit of the bicycle is the chain, thanks to which the movement is carried out. The speed and efficiency of movement directly depends on its condition. Therefore it is recommended to keep it in good condition at all times. Experts advise regularly cleaning the bike chain.
There are several types of lubricants most often used by cyclists:
- For dry weather. These products are made of ceramics and are used if the bicycle is only cycled in dry weather. The advantages of such lubricating compositions include the fact that they protect the treated surfaces from corrosion.
- For wet weather. Silicone oils and a little paraffin are added to their composition. These components provide reliable protection against moisture in the chain.
- Compositions with added thickeners. They are versatile lubricants suitable for dry and wet weather.
Using the above oils is simple. Before applying them to the surface, the product is washed in a solvent and dried. Then the oil is evenly distributed along the tenacious.
With your own hands using large and small brushes
Many people have chain washers and therefore have to do the cleaning themselves. Experts advise using small or large brushes. They must be made of durable pile, as it removes dirt many times better.
The cleaning procedure is tenaciously carried out as follows:
- Straighten the product. First, they are tenaciously laid on a flat surface and straightened in length.
- Wipe down the surface. The part is carefully wiped with a dry brush to get rid of large debris.
- Treat with solvent. The liquid is applied to a large brush, after which the chain is rubbed with it. You need to rub thoroughly to get rid of even traces of small debris.
- Dry and grease. The processed product is dried and lubricated with machine oil.
WD-40 is considered a multipurpose lubricant that prevents dirt from sticking to the treated part. The main advantage of this tool is its versatility. Among the disadvantages of WD-40 are poor wear resistance. Because of this, the lubricating fluid has to be used more often. Experts recommend renewing this lubricant on the chain every 80-100 km. Using such a tool is quite simple.
Why you need to clean your bike chain
Some cyclists do not know why the bike chain is cleaned. Therefore, it is recommended that you figure out in advance why this part is being cleaned. It seems to many that they are tenaciously engaged in cleaning due to the fact that it begins to creak, but this is not so. There is a more important reason for this procedure. Cleaning improves the functioning of the part, since if it is not cleaned or lubricated, the pedals will spin at times worse.
Also, unlubricated ones wear out and break faster. In this case, its axles will wear out within a year. If cleaned periodically, they will last about five years.
Diesel fuel is called diesel fuel, which is used to refuel water, motor vehicles and other technical equipment. However, there are other ways to use this fuel fluid. For example, it can be used to repair a bicycle chain.
Cleaning of the product is carried out as follows:
- Pre-cleaning tenaciously. First, coarse dirt is brushed off the surface with a stiff brush. You can use a dry brush or soak it in water.
- Fill the container with diesel fuel. Take 300-500 milliliters of water into a bowl. This is enough to soak most bicycle chains.
- Soak off. The product will have to be soaked in diesel fuel longer than in kerosene. The procedure should last within 24 hours.
How often should you clean your bike chain.
First, you need to determine how dirty the bike chain has become. This is not difficult to do. It is enough to carefully examine the chain. earth often accumulates on its links, as well as old oil and leaks. these are the main signs that indicate that it is time to bring the chain into good condition.
Most often, the condition of a chain can be assessed by its outer side. But, this method does not always work. For example, driving on dusty roads for a long time may NOT affect the appearance of the chain in any way, but over time, a strong and unpleasant crackle may occur. This can be explained by the fact that dust and dirt can adhere perfectly inside the chain itself.
The minimum that needs to be done is to wipe and lubricate the chain. When driving on dry roads, the grease lasts much longer, but its basic properties begin to weaken due to sticking dust. Adding dirt while driving, and it also has enough effect on the chain stars.
In most cases, the bike chain is cleaned 1. 2 times a month.
In what ways can you clean the bike chain
The bicycle chain is the most important mechanism in the transport itself, with the help of which movement is carried out. Here the state of the chain depends on efficiency, as well as speed and ease of riding. The main parameters, thanks to which the chain is serviceable, is not so difficult to list. These include: the degree of chain wear, as well as its setting and cleanliness.
Every cyclist knows that for the stable operation of mechanisms that are constantly in contact with dust, it is quite important to keep them clean. Cleaning your bike chain is a must-have for every cyclist. It must be carried out for the stable operation of the transfer unit. Keeping it clean will significantly increase the life of the bike and make riding it as comfortable as possible.
Bicycle chain cleaning. how and what to do?
Before proceeding with the actual cleaning of the contaminated bicycle chain, the following steps must be taken:
- Together with the bicycle, it is advisable to leave the room in which you are. You can go to the balcony, or to the street. This should be done later that most products have a rather pungent odor.
- Prepare detergents and a plastic bottle.
- Keep your hands in mind. gloves should be worn when cleaning a dirty bike chain.
- In the absence of keys to remove the chain. it can be left on the bike.
- Also, if the part is NOT going to be disconnected, you can turn the bike over. This will make the job much easier.
Cleaning the bike chain
The detachable chain is quite practical when it comes to maintenance, as you will NOT need to flip the bike to find a comfortable position. The detached chain is much easier and more convenient to clean than the one that hangs inconveniently on the frame.
How to wash the detachable chain: Soak in kerosene. Rinse in solvent. Wash the chain yourself, using a brush.
By soaking the chain in kerosene, it will be possible to remove the plaque formed on the chain links. But with lumps of earth and mud, this method copes rather poorly. Then, if the dirt is not completely removed, it can be removed with thin knitting needles or a brush.
The most effective way is to flush the chain in a container with a solvent.
Materials needed for cleaning:
- Plastic bottle;
- Solvent (you can use kerosene or acetone)
- Any detergent;
The chain must be placed in a bottle and filled with solvent. Close the cap tightly and shake the bottle for 8 minutes, do not stop. This will help get rid of any remaining dirt.
After the performed procedure, a flush should be performed. Pour water, detergent, a couple of drops of oil into the bottle. In this solution, we keep the chain for 5 to 10 minutes, while shaking it, as during the main cleaning. The procedure must be done before the water in the bottle no longer becomes clear. That is, as the water gets dirty. you should collect water with the product again. And he will repeat this several times. After the water remains clear after rinsing. Take out the chain. It remains only to wipe it with a clean dry cloth.
There is also another way to clean the bike chain, which will be done manually. To complete it you will need:
- Clean rags;
- Brushes (large and small);
After preparing the necessary materials, you can proceed to the cleaning itself.
First, you need to straighten the chain. After that, on a small-sized brush, apply detergent and lather well. Foam brush Clean the outer surface of the chain. The brush, during cleaning, must be rinsed.
Now wipe the chain with a rag. Then, apply the agent to a small brush and clean the inner chambers of the chain. For more effective cleaning, this procedure can be repeated several times, lubricate the chain during cleaning with oil.
After completing the cleaning, we wipe the chain with kerosene, having previously applied it to a rag. Now, wipe the chain with a dry cloth.
Cleaning a contaminated bicycle chain with a chain washing machine
Cleaning the chains manually is not always convenient and effective. And someone simply does not have the opportunity to remove it. It is in such cases that a chain washing machine is used.
What is a chain washer. a small-sized machine, inside of which there are gears for firmly attaching the links, as well as small brushes. A special liquid is poured into the machine, which is sold in the kit. As soon as the pedals start to rotate, all the links in the chain pass through this machine.
With this method, cleaning the chain will turn out quickly and effectively.
Lubricants consisting of two components. a solvent and a direct lubricant. Sold in convenient containers. Due to its liquid consistency, the mixture easily penetrates into the right places, and then the solvent evaporates. They are expensive but provide excellent results.
Quality bicycle chain lubricant: which one to choose?
Maintenance is a must for all cyclists, no matter how professional and expensive their vehicle is. The transmission requires special care, because the unsatisfactory condition of the chain and sprockets will NOT even allow you to start driving. These elements need regular cleaning and treatment with special substances, so the question arises of how to lubricate the bicycle chain?
- When to Lubricate the Chain?
- Cleaning the chain before lubricating
- Bicycle chain lubricants
- Liquid lubricants
- Two-component greases
- Thick greases
- Bicycle Chain Lubrication Instructions
- Move the bike chain to the middle sprockets, in this position, its tension is maximum, and cleaning and lubrication will be more thorough (after that, remember to re-adjust the front and rear derailleurs, if your model has them).
- Clean and flush the system, you can use a special machine.
- Lubricate all sections of the chain by smoothly pedaling counterclockwise.
- Pedal at the same speed, so the substance penetrates better.
- The lubricating fluid necessary for the vehicle’s operation will remain inside, and the excess will come to the surface. They are where dirt usually sticks, so gently wipe the links and other elements with a clean cloth.
- Remove large lumps of dirt and grease;
- Use a special machine to clean the transmission to normal condition;
- Completely treat the elements with special substances to remove even fine dirt.
- The device also needs a tough cleaning after work;
- The materials used are unreliable and constant use will quickly break the product. And cleaning brushes cannot be replaced with new ones in case of breakage.
- Even a special mechanism will NOT save a person from the need to walk along the chain with a rag.
- Pour solvent into a basin. It will remove any dirt, just put the system in the liquid and remove any visible dirt.
[Attention type = yellow] Worth knowing! Cyclists often leave the transmission in the tank for a while, but this has NOT been proven to be beneficial. [/ Attention]
- Washing. Dissolve soap or powder in warm water. Residual solvent Must be removed, otherwise the grease may react unpredictably with it.
- The chain can be dried with a cloth, but it is best to leave it outdoors. The washing procedure is quite painstaking, but you should not neglect it.
- As soon as it becomes difficult for a cyclist to read a movement, it is necessary to process the transmission parts, often the problem lies in them.
- After storing the vehicle on a balcony or garage where it is exposed to the external environment.
- This procedure should be repeated after three hours of continuous driving (in terms of mileage it is 100 kilometers).
- Heavy rain is also considered a reason to renew the lubricating fluid, the ingress of water on parts and strong jets remove some of the substance.
- You decided to clean and re-tension the chain.
- Finally, when the lubricant disappears, the chains begin to crunch suspiciously.
- After a bike has run 100-150 km, it is imperative to clean and lubricate the fork;
- The “legs” of the fork must be constantly checked for cracks;
- After a run of 500-1000 km, you need to completely disassemble and lubricate the fork;
- The oil must be changed at least once a season.
- Quick manual cleaning with the introduction of water and rags;
- Manual cleaning with a stiff brush and liquid detergents;
- Mechanical cleaning using a special machine.
- Container for cleaning. There are several options here depending on whether you will be removing the chain or leaving it in place. In the first option, you will need a bucket or other open container, in which you will be able to manually sort, clean and rinse the part. Or a plastic bottle, in which it will be necessary to collect the agent, load the chain, shake it so that the part moves in the liquid, so that its links are cleaned of contamination. In the second option, if the chain remains in place, you DO NOT plan to remove it, you will definitely need a wide basin so that flying drops and drips can fall into it after using a stiff brush and liquid cleansers.
- Water whose temperature must be very hot. In order not to burn your hands during the procedure, it is recommended to protect the skin with rubber gloves.
- Sponges and brushes. To clean your bike, you can use one of several types of brushes or a couple at once. We are talking about a regular toothbrush, a special brush or paint brush of the desired size. A mandatory point is the high stiffness of the bristles on the brush, the handle of which must be plastic and NOT succumb to the negative effects of the applied liquid products. You can purchase the STG YC-790 brush.
- Cleaning liquids. In this case, there is a wide range of liquids for cleaning bicycle parts. You can use gasoline, kerosene, dishwashing detergents (for example, Fairy, Sarma, Gala), solvents (optionally 646, acetone, white spirit), car detergents (for example, Liquid Key, WD-40 ) and, of course, special liquid products or sprays that are used to remove dirt from bicycles, scooters or motorcycles (use Motul C1 Chain Clean and others).
- A narrow screwdriver with a flat tip.
- Lubrication as needed to complete the bike cleaning procedure.
- Clean rags with which the chain, wheels, frame will be wiped.
- Electric hair dryer, which is needed in order to quickly dry parts after using water.
- Open the lid and bring the device from the bottom close to the branch of the chain, which is located below, orienting the cutouts in the case for the chain and itself in the appropriate position;
- Close the lid;
- Pour cleaning liquid into the bath of the machine, which is located at the bottom of the machine;
- Hold the car or leash to the frame of the bike to avoid moving it, and start pedaling to start the chain movement;
- The movement of the chain will pass through the body of the device, and the links, when passing through the rollers, will be cleaned of impurities through the action of a cleaning liquid and the operation of a mechanical machine.
- Chain. This is the most important part of the bike. In order to clean the chain, it must be placed in a container, pre-filled with hot water in a bucket. Do not forget to use rubber gloves to protect the skin of your hands. Only hot water will give you the desired effect. Next, you need to add a small amount of dishwashing detergent or car washing liquid to the liquid and stir well to form foam. After that, you will need to use a stiff brush to clean the chain from dirt. Literally before our eyes, dirt will be removed from this part. The next step is degreasing. The use of white spirit, acetone or other solvent will remove fine dust particles and other debris from the chain after cleaning in a soapy solution. Thanks to the Degreaser, the bike part will NOT be greasy. To apply the product to the entire chain, you need to rotate the cranks. After that, the part should dry, and the solvent will fix after a while. Now you need to dry the chain using clean rags. To make sure that some places are still dirty, it is necessary to rotate the chain links from left to right, from top to bottom, alternating sides. The final stage is lubrication with machine oil, but not in large quantities. Use a bottle with a dropper, grease all the links in the chain, and finally wipe off the remaining oil.
- Speed switches, of which there are two: front and rear. The front derailleur is absent on bikes with only one sprocket in front, you will find it on bikes with two or more sprockets. Here the front derailleur depends on the angular speed, how often the pedals are turned and the wheel torque. The rear derailleur, in addition to regulating the change in gear speed, is also engaged in adjusting the chain tension when changing the speed mode. When the chain changes from one sprocket to another, a gear change is made. When cleaning at home, pay due attention to the front derailleurs, which often go unnoticed when removing dirt with your own hands. In order for this part to become clean again, use a toothbrush with which you remove dirt from hard-to-reach places, and hot water with the addition of dishwashing detergent. Next, you will need to wipe the front derailleur with a clean strip of cloth, which will regain its former shine after a couple of minutes. Cleaning the rear derailleur should begin by removing dried dirt with a screwdriver, the grass stuck between the wheel and the rear derailleur bar. Brush with a toothbrush and detergent. Lubricate the wheel with machine oil. Treat all components of the switching mechanics.
- Cassettes, they are stars. The arrangement of the sprockets works in such a way that debris should NOT accumulate in them, but during operation you can notice that one way or another grass and small debris get there. Remove dirt from hard-to-reach areas of the cassette with a flat-blade screwdriver. Next, you need hot water and a stiff-bristled brush. Walk over the asterisk and, if necessary, use a degreaser. And finally, you need to wipe the cassettes with a dry cloth.
- Carriage. To clean the carriage of dirt, you will have to disassemble it, since it includes a number of small parts. You will need to use a wrench (for 17 and 14), and you will also need grease, rags. So, you should disengage the rim brake and remove the wheel, Unscrew the nut, remove the spring from the axle, remove the rubber covers from the nut with a screwdriver, place the wheel in a horizontal position and use a 17 spanner wrench Unscrew the nut and the cone, pull out a little and get the balls. Now you can clean the carriage of dried grease with a rag. Next, you need to also remove dirt from the balls, nuts, cone and wasp with a rag. Apply Lubricant and Assemble the Carriage.
- Pedals. This part is cleaned in two ways: with or without disassembly. The second option will solve the problem for a short time, but it is still considered good. Following this method, you need to put the bike on its side, remove the plug at the end with a screwdriver, clean the pedal with a brush and hot water from the detergents, add a small amount of machine oil and, leaving the bike in the same position, start spinning the pedal, and without interruption for about 10 seconds. The same operation must be done with the second pedal. If you are going to follow the first method, you will need a 15 open-end adjustable wrench, socket wrenches. The step-by-step instructions are as follows: remove the plug at the end, with a socket wrench, Unscrew the counter nut and remove the washer, Unscrew the bearing cone, remove the balls from the first, take out the balls from the second bearing. Next, you need to remove the old grease from all the constituent parts of the pedals. On a cloth Apply WD-40 agent, wipe the accessories. The pedals are clean. Now they need to be assembled: Apply grease with a thick consistency to the cup of the second bearing, put the balls in it, carefully install here, apply grease to the cup of the first bearing and also place the balls in it, screw the cone on here and Tighten, put on the washer, tighten the nut and close the hole with a plug.
- Directly, a murmur;
- Dishwashing liquid;
- After each use of the bike, it is advisable to wash it. remove dust, sand, debris, grass and other dirt.
- You need to start general cleaning with a saddle wash, Going down to the tires on wheels.
- During washing, do not direct the streams of water to the frame, in which it is not desirable for water to remain, and bushings so that the grease is NOT washed out.
- Preferring a stiff brush, but not with metal “hairs”, as they negatively affect the bicycle chain coating, scratching the surface, and can also break and build up in hard-to-reach places, such as crevices.
- Do NOT use lithium greases.
- If during cleaning you find corroded areas on the cable, this part must be replaced with a new one.
- Polishing your bike will provide additional protection from dirt. Buy a paint cleaner and treat it using a rag on your bike.
- You don’t have to spend money on special sprays, aerosols and liquid bike cleaners. Hot water mixed with regular dish detergent will give the same great result.
Bicycle chain lubricants. Bicycle Chain Lubrication Instructions
After cleaning and buying lubricant, cyclists are wondering how to properly lubricate a bicycle chain? To do this is quite simple, the main thing is to follow the instructions.
The instruction consists of the following steps:
[Attention type = red] Important! Continuous maintenance of the chain will ensure that all systems on your bike work properly. [/ Attention]
You can clean and lubricate the links yourself, rather than contacting a specialized workshop. Choose the right lubricant carefully and DO NOT skimp on parts.
Cleaning the chain before lubricating
First of all, the maintenance of parts involves cleaning them, this procedure is especially important for the transmission. When cycling, dirt and dirt from the road mixes with the lubricant and remains on the links of the system.
A viscous, hard-to-wash black mass is formed, which is ready to stain everything around. In addition, it spoils the surface of mechanisms made of metal.
There are three simple steps to cleaning and removing grease from your bike chain and sprockets:
The specific shape of the chain does not allow wiping it with a simple rag or sponge. The links, the gaps between them and the non-fixed position cause a lot of trouble for the cyclist. Therefore, high-quality manual cleaning sometimes takes a lot of time and effort.
Engineers have come up with special devices for this procedure. They consist of gears and brushes, between which a chain passes. Like any device, the machine has its pros and cons. Most importantly, it cleans it quickly and efficiently. But at the same time:
[Attention type = green] Tip! With such a machine, taking care of your bike will become easier, because the cleaning procedure does not take much time, and the result is tangible. [/ Attention]
As noted earlier, a special machine cannot remove 100% of the dirt; to get to the smallest parts in the links, you will have to use liquid. There are special substances designed for cleaning the links.
A more efficient and simpler way:
Rarely used for chain lubrication because their density makes it difficult to handle hard-to-reach elements.
So what’s the best way to lubricate your bike chain? The system can be lubricated with an effective two-component or modern dry. graphite lubricant. They are the least problematic when cleaning. In SEPARATE cases, the system can be treated with ordinary engine oil, but a special agent is better.
The most common option. The can contains Teflon or graphite particles mixed with silicone. The substance easily gets into the most remote and hard-to-reach places, but it very stains the vehicle parts.
This is a classic look, they are poured into special oilers or vessels. Cyclists are attracted by their low cost, but use requires a lot of patience and care.
When to Lubricate the Chain?
There is still a consensus on this issue.
Main service signs:
Cleaning the bike fork and cables
Do-it-yourself cleaning forks and cables is easier than removing dirt from the drivetrain. With a fork, everything is elementary: you need to remove dirt and old grease, wipe its “legs” with a cloth. A shock absorbing bicycle fork needs Appropriate care:
Removing dirt from the transmission
Removing dirt from the transmission, the parts of which are the system, chain, cassette (“sprockets”), carriage, shifters, pedals and speed switches at home includes getting rid of contamination of all components and there are several types, among which it is necessary to highlight:
It should be noted right away that when choosing the first and third options for cleaning the bike, the chain will have to be removed, while during the application of the second method, the chain can be left in place or removed at will. Do-it-yourself cleaning of bicycle transport will be more effective if the chain is still removed, especially when it comes to rather serious pollution. In order to start washing the chain with removal, you need to open it in the link-lock, or knock out the pin.
To remove dirt deposits from the chain, cassettes, carriages and other components of the transmission, in particular, in those places that are difficult to reach, you can mechanically act on the parts, using a stiff brush or using the procedure of dipping and rinsing in special liquid cleaners.
What materials and devices will be needed to clean the bike drivetrain at home? And the following tools and cleaning products will come in handy.
When using gasoline, kerosene, all kinds of solvents and similar agents, do not forget that they have a rather pungent odor. In order for the residual unpleasant odor to disappear, you first need to rinse the part in cleaning agents. gasoline, kerosene, acetone, and then, so that the smell disappears, RINSE in water, add a small amount of dishwashing liquid. It is not recommended to use cleaners with a strong odor indoors, near open flames and other sources of ignition. We recommend cleaning outdoors.
The technology for using a special machine is as follows:
As we have already mentioned, the choice of cars is quite large. You can choose the device that suits you in terms of price and configuration, for example, purchase a mechanical device from Barbieri, Bike Hand, Birzman, Kettenmax or any other company.
The bicycle cleaner has a number of advantages, such as achieving the desired effect in cleanliness in the shortest possible time, low use of liquid cleaning agents and little contamination of the room during the process, due to the fact that the body of the device is closed, which, in fact, prevents splashing of the used liquid drops and dirt. However, there are some nuances of its work: in addition to the expensive prices, the point is in the purpose of the machine, which will only get rid of dirt from your bike chain.
So, now let’s talk about cleaning some transmission parts in more detail.
So, we sorted out the cleaning of the transmission of the bicycle at home. Moving on to the next node.
Cleaning bicycle brakes
Cleaning the brakes of bicycle transport. adjustment. After each use of the bike, you need to Keep the rims, pads, brake rotor clean, depending on what kind of brakes you have. If you have them on disk, then the following materials will come in handy for cleaning:
First of all, you need to pour hot water into the container and add a little powder, and then place the ropor in the liquid. Now you need to clean the part with a toothbrush, rinse the rotor under running water and fill in a clean container, apply the detergent to the rotor, and brush it. Next, you need to moisten a cloth with acetone and wipe the disc brake part. Pads at home are cleaned according to the same principle.
Some parts of the bike, for example, the hub and handlebars, practically DO NOT need special cleaning with your own hands: just wipe them so that dust and small debris do NOT accumulate.
Bicycle cleaning is something that almost every lover of movement with this type of transport had to do with his own hands. Of course, some turn to mechanics, however, the procedure for removing dirt and other deposits is NOT so complicated, so it can be done at home. Exactly how to independently clean the bicycle, what means, devices and devices to remove dirt from the transmission. cassettes (“sprockets”), chain, system, carriage, switches, from the shock-absorbing fork, disc brakes, wheels, hubs and other components of the bicycle transport, we will talk.
General recommendations Also, do not neglect.
So, now you know how to clean your bike from dirt with your own hands. As you can see, it is absolutely not difficult to carry out this procedure with your own hands. Follow the instructions, remember the general recommendations for caring for this type of transport, and there will be no problems with the normal functioning of the bike.
Cleaning and lubricating a bicycle chain at home
Before starting cleaning, it is necessary to remove the chain from the bicycle; for this, a lock or squeeze is provided in the chain design.
For cleaning you must have:
Proper chain lubrication can greatly increase chain life. An overly lubricated chain very quickly adheres to dirt, containing abrasive elements, which immediately fall on the working mechanisms of the chain, which leads to very rapid wear. In the worst case, after 100 km, the chain may become completely unusable.
To lubricate the chain, you must have:
Leave your opinion and wishes for the article “Cleaning and lubricating a bicycle chain at home”