Bicycle grease TF2, which is available in the form of an aerosol and in oilers, differs from its competitors in the best resistance to dirt and dust, because it contains Teflon. Before applying, it is necessary to completely wash the chain from dirt and dry well. This is the main requirement of the manufacturer, which guarantees the durability of operation. The lubricant is applied evenly to the chain and is gently wiped away from oil leaks. After 10-15 minutes, the chain must be wiped dry with a cloth. The Teflon component declared by the manufacturer in the lubricant must create an enveloping film over the entire surface, which will repel dust and dirt. After driving a couple of kilometers after cleaning, you can see that the bicycle chain lubricant again appeared on the surface in the form of droplets. This happens due to heating and pressure in the circuit during operation. Remove excess oil with a cloth. With such an effective lubrication for 150-200 kilometers on dry terrain, the chains are not afraid of dust or dirt.
Types of lubricating oils
There are several types of bicycle lubricant on the markets, each of which stands out from the competition with its special properties.
- Aerosol lubricants. Under high pressure, together with air, the lubricant enters the chain in the form of foam and, due to its state of aggregation, penetrates into hard-to-reach components. After waiting 10-15 minutes, you need to wipe the rest of the substance dry with a dry cloth. This bicycle chain lubricant is not only durable, but also the most effective, because the chain wiped dry will not attract dust. There is only one inconvenience. it takes a lot of time to clean the chain from grease residues.
- Liquid oils. The most popular type of lubricant is sold with a special dispenser for ease of treatment. Liquid oils cost a penny on the market, but in terms of efficiency they are inferior to all competitors.
- Two-component greases. A volatile solvent with thick oil is applied to the chain. The grease penetrates into hard-to-reach parts, the solvent evaporates, and the oil thickens.
Generation Bio to protect nature
Bicycle chain lubricant from the manufacturer of bicycle accessories Zefal is positioned as an organic substance that, after use, can decompose in nature without polluting the environment. In the 21st century, this is an urgent problem, and many manufacturers using the word Bio make good money, including the manufacturer Zefal. After all, if you think logically, all lubricants are created on an organic basis, they just do not indicate this on the packaging. With a more detailed acquaintance with the grease, the user will note its excellent all-season qualities. Ability to work in aggressive environments, in frost and hot weather. And the low price will give the impetus that is so lacking at the time of purchase.
The Russian brand will not yield positions
When wondering which lubricant is best for a bicycle chain, many Russian buyers argue among themselves, defending Japanese, German and American brands. Few people know that in the Russian market there is a lubricant for a bicycle chain of its own production. Unlike competitors, only it is capable of working in conditions that exist on the territory of Russia. Nanoprotech bicycle grease has no analogues in the world, because it contains components that provide protection against aggressive environments, which include all kinds of reagents, including salt, sprinkled on the roads of the country in winter. The manufacturer has chosen to release the product in aerosol form, providing the user with the convenience of service. There is a lot of information on the cylinder, which at first raises doubts about the veracity, but after a month of active operation in the winter, all questions to the manufacturer disappear. Professionals recommend Nanoprotech lubricant to all cyclists using a vehicle all year round.
Bicycle Parts Manufacturer Lubricant
If there are Shimano-branded parts, then there must be branded accessories for service and maintenance. Naturally, their quality must match the brand. Shimano WET 100 bicycle lubricant is considered the best in the professional cycling segment. The grease is intended for wet weather, because it contains components with high binding properties. In addition, after lubrication, a water-repellent film forms on the surface of the chain, which can easily cope not only with moisture, but also with dirt. At a low price, this option contains components that prevent the formation of corrosion and rust, so many athletes, in addition to the chain, lubricate the rotating parts of the bicycle, trying to protect themselves from contamination. Such extensive functionality has only one drawback. fragility. At the end of the cycling race, rinse all lubricated components completely, wipe dry and re-lubricate.
Into a sandstorm
Motorex bicycle chain lubricant is not a multigrade lubricant. She has a slightly different task. Biodegradable oil designed for use in extremely dusty environments with low humidity levels. A race on the sands, quarries, mountain slopes. this is her environment. In addition to the chain, the manufacturer recommends using the same lubricant on brake cables and derailleurs, as well as on moving components. It is produced in the form of an aerosol and in the form of an oiler. In our market, the Swiss manufacturer Motorex is better known for its products for servicing bicycle suspension forks. Low cost and high quality quickly attracted its customers. However, Motorex brand bicycle chain lubricant, for some unknown reason, occupies the most expensive niche and will not be affordable for many bicycle owners.
Universal grease WD-40
Media reviews are full of headlines that WD-40 is the best bicycle chain lubricant. This is not true, because WD-40 contains white spirit, which is actively used not only by cyclists to flush lubricant components, but also by motorists, tractor drivers and other specialists related to oil pollution. Naturally, the substance designed to cleanse the oil can in no way act as a lubricant. The price of chain lubrication is not high enough to do such nonsense with the WD-40. But the purchase of new components that will fail in the process of improper use will significantly hit your
Leaves a protective layer on the bike chain after application, only suitable for dry weather conditions.
- Pros: The wax-based lubricant keeps dirt away from the chain, so it doesn’t need to be cleaned that often. This is an ideal solution for those who are obsessed with cleanliness, and for those who are not going to get wet. after all, this lubricant can stay on the chain for several months, and after the expiration date it flakes itself.
- Disadvantages: it is not effective in wet and dirty conditions, therefore it must be applied more often than oil. Also, because of the main component. wax. it does not penetrate into the links as well as oil lubricants.
Tips for choosing the right lubricant
The first and most important tip is to not lubricate the chain with anything not designed for the bike. This includes sunflower oil, used engine oil, and other cheap substitutes for normal bicycle lubricants. Even WD-40 is not designed to lubricate the chain, but only to clean it!
Whenever possible, purchase biodegradable lubricants to help nature cope faster with chemicals washed down to the ground.
A PTFE-based lubricant, better known as Teflon, will help make pedaling easier. It does not matter which type of lubricant you choose, always apply it to a clean chain, otherwise dirt will get into the inner parts of the links along with the oil, which will accelerate the wear process.
For dry environments
This type is applied to the chain, but does not remain on its outer surface, so dust and dirt do not adhere to the lubricant, which means it is ideal for riding in dry weather.
- Pros: Not as sticky as in wet weather, so it repels dust rather than attracts it. The main thing is to remember that it should be applied several hours before the trip so that it has time to dry.
- Disadvantages: it washes out quickly, therefore it is recommended to apply it after each hit in the stream or in the rain.
For humid environments
This look stays on the chain after lubrication, so it is recommended for driving in wet and muddy conditions, for winter driving, and also in dry conditions where many water obstacles are expected, such as fords.
- Advantages: does not wash out, so it does not need to be applied constantly (it is recommended every 50 km of run).
- Disadvantages: Since the lubricant stays on the chain, dust and small particles of dirt easily adhere to it, which later act as an abrasive and increase the wear of the links. It is also much more difficult to clean the bike from such oil.
Types of lubricants
There are three categories of chain lubricant:
How and what is the best way to lubricate a bicycle chain?
During the movement of the chain along the stars, friction is created, which provokes its rapid wear, therefore it is necessary to regularly clean and lubricate the chain. What kind of lubricant to choose is up to the rider himself, depending on the weather conditions and the duration of the trip. It is believed that in dry weather, the chain should be lubricated once every 100 km, in rainy and muddy conditions. once every 50 km. But if you hear a creak or rustle, or it is difficult for you to pedal, then you do not need to wait, it is better to immediately smear!
How to apply chain lubricant?
There are two methods of application: aerosol and drip. Aerosol is convenient, but drip is correct. To understand this, you need to figure out exactly where you need to lubricate the chain:
- where the rivets rub against the inner plates (at the moment of bending of the links relative to each other);
- where the inner and outer plates rub against each other;
- inside the roller so that it can easily rotate around its axis.
It turns out that the lubricant should be applied to the inner parts of the chain, and not to the outer ones. The drip method involves a long and slightly tedious process of dripping oil onto each joint of the links, and the aerosol can be sprayed in a couple of seconds.
But! During the application of aerosols, those parts of the bicycle that do not need to reduce friction at all can get under the stream. brake discs, rims, brake pads. This is fraught with not only excess dirt and dust adhering to the bike, but also serious injury when the brakes fail.
A kind of compromise between drip and aerosol lubrication is a two-component lubricant. it is essentially a thick oil diluted in a solvent. It is applied quickly enough and easily penetrates into the links, leaving a thick oil layer after the solvent has evaporated.
How to quickly and effectively clean and lubricate a chain, see here:
A famous cyclist once said that just a few drops of oil can dramatically increase pedaling efficiency. To his words, it remains only to add that oil drops should be selected in accordance with the conditions and distance of the trip, as well as depending on the speed of their application.
Proper bike care: what lubricants to use?
How to take care of your bike and maximize its life? There are many answers to this question, from driving carefully to garage storage. But the most important role in the performance of a two-wheeled friend is played by lubricants.
Whatever one may say, a bicycle is not such an easy means of transportation. Each of its mechanisms needs timely and high-quality care.
In the picture below you can see all the lubrication points of the bike. The main ones. chain, gearshift mechanisms and cables, brake cables, as well as carbon elements, which are very important not to overtighten during assembly.
It is important to understand that a single lubricant will not be enough for quality performance and long service life of the two-wheel friend. TM Motip has released a series of products that will help extend the service life of cycling equipment for many years.
With this tool, you can protect your bike chain and sprockets from premature wear, dirt film and rust. Due to the high viscosity, protective and water-repellent properties of the product, the life of the chain and sprockets will significantly increase. Ideal for city bikes.
This product contains ceramic particles that contribute to high-quality protection of the chain, sprockets and, accordingly, extend their service life. Ceramic chain lubricant TM Motip has excellent lubricating properties even under heavy loads, which makes it irreplaceable for the care of mountain and sport bikes.
Has a low coefficient of friction for minimal resistance, high lubricity and water repellency, as well as the presence of PTFE in the composition. Teflon bicycle lubricant is ideal for treating carbon, aluminum, steel and plastic surfaces, gearshift mechanisms, shift cables, brake cables, and more.
Mini review: Muc-Off C3 ceramic premium dry lube bicycle chain lubricant
When assembling carbon elements, it is very important to moderately tighten their fasteners, at the same time to create a reliable grip of the elements. Thanks to the combination of lithium grease and quartz particles, the product provides excellent grip and reliability in bicycle operation.
This product will become your reliable assistant in cleaning the chains and sprockets of the bicycle chain drives. It has an emulsifying ability, effectively removes oil and dirt from the elements, can be easily washed off with water.
Effective cleaning, protection and brilliant shine for your bike in one bottle. Suitable for all painted and carbon fiber bike parts. Has a water-repellent effect, prevents the adhesion of dirt. Contains silicone. It is enough to apply and polish.
How to lubricate shock absorbers on a bicycle?
The principle of disassembling the shock absorber was described above. Therefore, there is only one thing to add: in case of rainy weather, cleaning and lubrication of the shock absorbers should be carried out daily. Otherwise, weekly. Cleaning is done with soapy water and a brush and lubricated with aerosol and oil.
And finally it happened! The bike has been bought and even run in. And then a new problem arises: the pedals and all parts of the bike begin to creak, and the chain is slightly rusty. What should be done? the answer is simple: use a lubricant.
The principle of the machine for cleaning the chain (chain)
How the chain cleaner works.
How To Select Chain Lube For Cycling
The main and, probably, the key advantage of the chain cleaner is the ability to take care of the chain without removing it from the bicycle. To get started, it is enough to put the chain inside the machine, pre-filled with flushing liquid to the middle of the rollers (about 50 ml).
IMPORTANT! Usually a simple detergent like Fairy, thinner, white spirit or kerosene is used for this.
Then you should smoothly rotate the pedals, while carefully holding both the machine and the bike itself. In order not to spill used liquid on the floor or drip grease, protect the floor covering with rags or newspapers: if weather conditions allow, then it is advisable to perform the procedure outdoors. this will relieve both stains and the sharp smell of cleaning liquids. After the chain is cleaned of dirt, it is easy to lubricate it: for this, it is enough to replace the flushing fluid in the machine with lubricant.
The principle of operation of the machine is extremely simple, it is available to every bicycle owner, regardless of age and knowledge. Therefore, the presence of such a device can be considered justified, especially in the absence of experience in self-care and repair of bikes.
How to lubricate a bike chain?
To lubricate the chain as thoroughly and quickly as possible, you must use the following procedure:
- Transfer the chain from large sprockets to medium sprockets. This is to keep the chain as tight as possible. This makes it easier to clean the chain links and lubricate them much more thoroughly.
- Remove dirt from the chain. This can be done with a regular clean cloth. It is necessary to wipe thoroughly so as not to miss a single section of the chain.
- Apply lubricant to the chain. It is best to use a lubricant rather than an aerosol, as it will lubricate absolutely all parts of the chain. It is necessary to lubricate all its parts, while scrolling the pedals counterclockwise.
- Pedal at the same speed. This is necessary for the best penetration of the lubricant inside.
- Wipe off any excess oil. All the lubricant that the bike needs to perform well stays inside, and the excess shows up on the surface. They only interfere with the bike’s performance, as they collect dirt. That is why the excess needs to be removed with a clean cloth. Everything, the chain is lubricated.
How to lubricate your bike?
Seems like what’s so hard about lubricating bike parts? However, there are some wisdom here too. For example, you need a certain amount of lubricant, as well as a certain type. In addition, certain manipulations are required with any of the parts. Here are the basic requirements for lubricating parts:
With the right lubricants, you should have no problem maintaining your bike. Below will be considered a more detailed description of the lubrication of each part of the bike.
What needs to be lubricated in the bike?
In order for the bike to serve its owner as long as possible, it is necessary to periodically lubricate all its parts. The most important and first in turn is the chassis. that is, all the parts that ensure the movement of the bicycle, combined into one system. These include:
- Chain. This detail is one of the most important because it ensures the movement of the bicycle. That is why the entire technical condition of this transport depends on the quality and quantity of lubricant applied to it. The first signal that the chain is out of order is its tinkling. You should also take into account such a moment as the wear of this part. It needs to be changed as often as possible. about every 1,500 kilometers of cycling.
- Brake axles. The entire braking system is responsible for driving safety and stopping the bike in time.
- Roller wheels for chain tensioning. They help keep the chain tight and resist loosening.
- Speed shifter. It consists of two parts: front and back. The first is responsible for shifting gears, and the second is for gradually building up speed. In order for these actions to occur flawlessly, constant lubrication and proper care of these parts are required.
- Shift and brake cables. Since neither the brake nor the switch can transmit commands through the air, each bicycle has special cables that carry two functions: combining the braking parts and the switch with each other and transmitting signals that induce action. To lubricate them, you need to drop a little oil near the inlet and outlet of each cable and press a little on the pedals and switches.
- Carriage assembly. The carriage is a small bushing that contains bearings and special cups. This device is responsible for the pedals. The bearings help them to twist easily, and the cups keep the pedals from rolling and falling out. Thus, by lubricating the carriage, you ensure your own driving safety.
- Wheel bearings. They help the wheels move and keep the wheel from wobbling while driving. They also need constant lubrication.
- Damping system. She is responsible for the softness of the ride. In addition, in the presence of various obstacles, the shock absorbers soften the impact of the wheels and resist the breakdown of the bike. The owner is required to lubricate the special front fork and rear shock absorber.
Thus, if the owner lubricates everything in advance, then he will not observe any problems with the bike for a long time.
How often to lubricate the bike chain?
On this issue, everyone has different opinions. But the best and most optimal solutions will be the following:
- With a hard start. If it becomes difficult for the owner to go out into the street, it means that the whole thing, most often, turns out to be in a state of chain.
- After three hours of riding.
- Chain crunch. This effect can be observed at the moment when the chain becomes dry.
Thus, coming to a common denominator, the following can be noted: the chain is best lubricated every 100 kilometers of driving and after it has been cleaned of dirt.
How to lubricate different parts?
As you already understood, it will not work to lubricate all the mechanisms of the bike with one tool, otherwise you can harm them. You will have to spend money on several different lubricants, but such is the price for long-term operation.
The chain is the first element to remember to lubricate. Without this, it will soon begin to sag, and the sprockets and cassettes on the rear wheel will begin to be damaged. Two types of substances are suitable for the chain, depending on the weather:
- for dry. liquid lubricant that repels dust, apply every 100 km;
- for wet. thick grease, which is not washed off by precipitation, renew after 150 km of run.
The best chain lubricants are wax and silicone compounds. To facilitate the task, you can purchase a special device called a chain hoist. First of all, a chain washing agent, for example, kerosene, is poured into it. After the first run of the chain through the device, the substance inside is replaced with lubricant, and the chain is run in the same way a second time.
Bearings. Must be lubricated approximately once a year. This is the life span of the lithium grease that is ideal for this part. First, the bearings must also be cleaned with kerosene. However, grease is not applied to them, but to the cups, where the bearings are then inserted.
Wheel hubs. if they have open bearings, then the process is as simple as possible: clean the parts from dirt and cover with a new compound. But there are models with bearings located inside the cartridges. Experts recommend simply replacing them with new ones after a certain period of time.
Fork. It is best to use silicone grease for its legs. To carry out this procedure, the wheels must be removed.
Bottom Bracket. In certain cases, needs lubrication to prevent the bike from squeaking. The fact is that in modern bike models, the bearings are located inside the cartridge, where they are protected from moisture and dust. In fact, the cartridge is not intended to be disassembled. However, when driving for a long time off-road, the same unpleasant creak appears. In order not to have to replace the carriage with a new one, it can be opened, cleaned and lubricated.
Brake cable. just two drops of oil are enough for it, one at the entrance, the second at the exit. Then you just need to switch the speed, and turn the pedals. Use a liquid or spray to lubricate the brake.
The steering column. the situation with it is the same as with the carriage. Modern bicycles are equipped with bearings located in a cartridge. Such steering columns are called integrated.
When traveling for a long time or driving off-road, from time to time it is necessary to open the cartridges and lubricate the bearings.
They are also called consistent. They are characterized by a long service life and good tolerance to weather conditions such as frost or heat.
They include substances of a dense consistency, which are supplied in cans or tubes. Bicycle lubricants from this group are:
Experienced cyclists use them to handle slow moving parts such as bearings and arm bushings. It is also best to cover the chain with grease if you decide to preserve the bike for long-term storage.
When applied, calcium agents retain their properties for a long time and adhere tightly to parts even during precipitation. They perfectly protect the bike from corrosion and allow it to withstand temperature fluctuations from 30 to 50? C.
Lithium greases have practically the same properties as calcium greases, but their temperature range is much wider, from 50 to 150 ° C. However, they have one drawback. a negative effect on aluminum due to the occurrence of a chemical reaction.
Graphite powder prevails among graphite substances. It is sold as an oil, but turns to powder when applied and dried. This lubrication significantly facilitates the movement of parts.
But the group of thick lubricants has two serious drawbacks:
- they are difficult to apply and get rid of excess;
- dust and dirt adhere to the elements lubricated by them, which also does not benefit the bike.
Known for ease of application to various parts in the most difficult to reach places. But for the same reason, they quickly drain from lubricated elements.
Liquids include simple machine oils sold in small oilers or cans. Due to their consistency, they easily penetrate into hard-to-reach places, and the excess is easily removed. However, oils are quickly washed out with water. Therefore, do not use liquid lubricants to coat exposed elements.
Better to apply them to brake levers and levers, derailleurs and bearings. But don’t use too much oil. Otherwise, dust will adhere to the parts, which makes it difficult for them to move.
How often to carry out the procedure?
The answer to this question is quite simple. it must be lubricated every season. This is especially important after winter if you have sent your bike for storage. It takes no more than a couple of hours to put the bike in order after hibernation.
Some cyclists give their bikes to mechanics, but it’s best to learn how to do this yourself so as not to get screwed up at the most inopportune moment. But if you completely neglect lubrication, then be prepared that one day the parts will begin to fail one after another.
Seasonal lubrication includes all parts except the chain and fork. Chain lubrication is usually at the discretion of the owner, who can determine how often to lubricate the chain. Or you can just wait until the chain starts to squeak. But this does not mean that she has reached a critical point. Dry chain can withstand up to 30 km of driving.
And there is also an opinion that the gear cables cannot be lubricated at all, otherwise dirt and dust will stick to them, making it difficult to move. However, many professional mechanics still do this, but use substances that repel foreign objects.
In general, it is worth noting that most of the small parts must be lubricated so that they do not sour. This is common for elements such as seatposts, pedal threads, stem bolts and others. Unscrewing sour parts can be very problematic.
They have incorporated the qualities of the above two varieties. They are made on the basis of thick lubricants with the addition of a thinning agent.
Lubricants are excellent for use on prefabricated bike parts. This group includes three types of substances:
Most of these lubricants come in spray, aerosol or liquid bottle form.
Silicone lubricants can be found in three consistencies at once, including thick and thin. Therefore, they can be used for both open parts and hard-to-reach ones. At the same time, such a lubricant does not attract dust to itself and does not destroy rubber.
Teflon products retain their properties for a very long time and adhere firmly to the surface of the elements. They are great at repelling dust, dirt and moisture.
Wax lubricants are less resistant, but they provide reliable protection against corrosion.
As you can see, two-component substances have all the properties of thick lubricants, but at the same time they are practically devoid of their disadvantages. For this reason, thick lubricants are becoming less and less in demand today.
Bicycle grease: overview of types and recommendations
A bicycle, like any other means of transportation, needs some maintenance. This allows you to improve its performance, as well as significantly increase the service life.
Lubrication of parts is an essential and essential part of this maintenance. And each of them requires a certain tool and compliance with the rules for its use.
In this article, we will tell you in detail about the main types of lubricants and their representatives. And we will also share a few recommendations on how and when to perform this procedure.
There are two main functions that bicycle lubricants perform:
- protect parts from moisture, preventing corrosion;
- reduce the level of friction of moving parts.
Failure to comply with timely maintenance leads to the appearance of rust and the destruction of individual elements. However, they will often jam, making it difficult to move. The protective layer of lubricant significantly reduces the risk of these problems.
There are three types of bicycle lubricant today. Let’s take a closer look at each of the groups.
And finally, a few tips from experienced cyclists on how to properly lubricate.
First of all, you need to get your bike in proper condition, that is, wash and clean. To do this, you need simple tools at hand: a bucket, hot water, dishwashing detergent, a brush, and a sponge. It is also worth equipping yourself with a toothbrush, which is very suitable for cleaning hard-to-reach places.
Cleaning can be quick or major. In the first case, it is enough to walk over the frame with a damp cloth and wash the chain without even removing it. In the second case, the chain will still have to be removed and placed for a while in a container with a cleaning agent. While she is there, you need to remove the rear wheel, rinse the cassette, disassemble the rear derailleur foot, and also pay attention to all other important details.
You can start the lubrication itself with any component. Just remember that some fragments like stars or cassettes are recommended to be lubricated several times in a row.
When choosing lubricants, be guided by the current season, precipitation and air temperature. As already mentioned, liquid products are easily washed off with rain, and some of them are not adapted to extreme cold or, conversely, heat. And also choose a lubricant based on how often you use your bike, whether it’s short trips around town or long trips across rough terrain.
The chain is a very important part of any bike. Therefore, you should not treat it with lubricants that can harm it. Thick substances will not be able to provide the required result, since they are unable to penetrate all the holes in the chain. It is not recommended to use automotive oils and oily liquids, which easily attract dust. Otherwise, you will have to clean the chain again after two or three trips.
As a result, it must be said that today there are many different products on the market. And their choice often depends on the specific model of your bike and its features. It’s better to take the time to study the topic in more detail in order to create the perfect set of lubricants for your bike. Then it will serve you for many years.
For information on how to choose a lubricant for your bike, see the video below.
Description Muc-Off C3 Ceramic Dry Lube 50ml
- Volume: 50 ml
- Purpose: dry weather
- Application: clean the chain and apply Muc-Off C3 Ceramic Dry Lube 3-4 hours before the ride
- – efficient work in dry weather conditions
- – low coefficient of friction for better chain efficiency
- – does not contain harmful substances
- – great for highway, mtb and cyclocross
I liked the lubricant, it works well and lasts for a long time by km. You could safely take 120 ml, but did not want to risk it)
Delivery across Kiev and Ukraine:
Delivery in Kiev is carried out by our courier.
Delivery across Ukraine is carried out by transport companies (Nova Pochta and Autolux).
Cash to the courier upon receipt (only in Kiev).
In any branch of Privat Bank, replenishment of the card account.
The buyer receives a warranty card together with a package of documents at the time of delivery.
In the event of sloppy handling, accidents, misuse, breakdowns, improper installation of equipment, as well as installation of equipment by everyone except Provelo.com.ua and the workshops of an official representative, the warranty will be void.
Notes on leather goods
Since the skin. it is a natural material, its hardness can differ in different parts of the same calc and between different samples. Small marks, minor scratches and color variations cannot be considered as defects in leather products. The color of leather products is acquired during the tanning process, so some color irregularities are possible. When using for the first time or getting wet, the possible transfer of color to clothing, this does not constitute a basis for a warranty claim. Avoid riding your Brooks saddle in light colored clothing. Buff the seats with a piece of cloth before using for the first time. It is necessary to protect the seats from moisture, use the special Brooks cover for this. Riding a wet seat can leave marks on your clothes. Let your seat dry on its own without additional heating.
Muc-Off Ceramic Dry Lube Chain Lube 50ml Description:
50 ml low friction nano ceramic grease. Muc-Off C3 Ceramic Dry Lube 50ml is designed to lubricate bike chains, cables, derailleurs and other components in dry weather! The unique formula does not contain harmful elements, solvents and is completely biodegradable. Dye is included in the lubricant, under UV light you can see exactly where Muc-Off C3 Ceramic Dry Lube was applied. The best ceramic lubricant without harmful substances.
Muc-Off are the Official Supplier of Bike Care Products to Team Sky
Buy Genuine Muc-Off Chain Lubricants at Provelo.com
Brooks England does not accept warranty claims that result from falls, accidents, or other incidents outside of normal bike use. Likewise, no claims are accepted for seats that have not been properly cared for (regular lubrication and tightening for leather seats, etc.).
Wax lubricant is considered to be quite expensive. With its help, a thin protective layer is created on the surface of the chain, repelling dust and dirt. However, its use involves preliminary cleaning and washing of the chain, which is not always possible.
In addition, the application of the paraffin composition must be strictly metered, otherwise the wax will clog all the bushings and chain joints. In order to independently prepare wax lubricant, paraffin is rubbed on a grater and mixed with aviation kerosene in a 1: 2 ratio.
The mixture is left for 3 days to completely dissolve the paraffin clots, after which it is applied to the chain. As practice shows, one wax treatment is enough for 500 km in dry weather and for 200 km in rain.
The classification of bicycle chain lubricants is based on such characteristics as the form of production, conditions of use and chemical composition. According to the first criterion, there are 3 types of lubricants.
- Liquid lubricants are very easy to apply and resemble machine oil in consistency. The formulations are sold in convenient small-volume bottles and are equipped with a dropper.
- The spray lubricant is also easy to use and is an oily substance sprayed onto the chain links in the form of an aerosol. This form of release is optimal for application in the field, which is why it can often be found in a bicycle first aid kit. However, at home, many bikers prefer to use other lubricants, as when applied to the chain, most of the oil is sprayed into nowhere.
- Thick lubricants in most cases serve as the basis for the preparation of two-component compounds and are not applied to the chain themselves. Immediately before use, a solvent is added to them, which, after being applied to the chain, quickly evaporates, causing the lubricant to solidify. Such compounds are used in rainy weather, effectively protecting the metal from the harmful effects of water.
The conditions of use are another indication of the classification of lubricants. On this basis, the funds are divided into those that are suitable only for dry weather and moisture-resistant formulations.
- After being applied to the chain, the dry weather compounds dry out and form a protective film similar to a whitish coating. The film prevents dust and dirt from sticking to the chain, but is quickly washed off by the first rain.
- For wet weather, water-repellent lubricants are used, which are evenly applied to the chain in a thick layer. Such compounds stain clothes and attract dust, but they firmly endure heavy rainfall and driving through puddles and mud.
According to the active ingredient, lubricants are divided into 5 types. Let’s consider them in more detail.
The principle of action of grease with silicone is the same as for Teflon compounds: silicone forms a thin film on the surface of the chain, which repels dust and dirt. Most often, silicone grease is produced in the form of aerosols, which is not very convenient for lubricating small chain elements. According to the subjective assessment of experienced cyclists, up to 50% of the total volume is sprayed off target. The disadvantages of silicone grease include the need for frequent application, since one treatment is enough for no more than 30-40 km.
How to lubricate a bicycle chain?
The bike chain is an important part of the bike and needs regular maintenance. Not only the convenience of vehicle operation depends on its technical condition, but also the safety of the cyclist. Therefore, the question of the right choice of chain care products is relevant and worries many.
Teflon lubricants are available in the form of liquid and aerosols, but experienced bikers advise purchasing liquid formulations. This is due to the fact that when the lubricant is sprayed onto the chain, a significant part of the substance flies past, staining neighboring parts and causing overruns.
The disadvantages of Teflon lubricants include too rapid leaching of the composition, which is why during the rain they are enough for no more than 50 km.
Molybdenum disulfide grease is highly resistant to extreme temperatures and has a good lubricating effect. It forms a durable moisturizing film that reliably protects the chain links from dirt adhesion and reduces the negative influence of friction force. Molybdenum formulations are available in the form of aerosols and oily liquids in bottles of 70 ml or more.
This lubricant protects the chain elements from rapid wear and has high anti-corrosion properties. In addition, the agent is able to penetrate into the most inaccessible parts of the chain, reduces the negative effect of friction force and does not wash out for a very long time. In dry weather, one treatment is enough for 150 km of track, in rain or driving through puddles. for 70-80 km.
The lubricant is produced in the form of a very thick product, which is mixed with Kalosh gasoline in equal parts. According to the observations of many bikers, one 20 ml syringe of the mixture is enough for 4 lubricants.