The ten minute method for gluing a bicycle tube or air mattress
The problem of small punctures and damages on an air mattress is not new to anyone. It would seem that there is nothing to talk about when there is a special means for their elimination.
But what about an easier and faster way to repair rubber surfaces?
Today the editorial board of “So Simple!” will tell you how to fix the problem of small punctures on rubber surfaces using only super glue.
By the way, if suddenly you like long bike rides somewhere in the thick of the forest, always take a tube of superglue with you on the road.
After all, the method of gluing the mattress described below is also well suited for repairing bicycle cameras. And in case of unforeseen damage to bicycle tires, it will be possible to correct the situation with its help most quickly.
How to seal an inflatable mattress
As we already said, all that is required for repair is a tube of superglue and the damaged surface itself. The first step is to find the puncture site and mark it. This can be done with a bar of soap or chalk.
After that, we conduct an additional inspection of the mattress surface for other damage. If none are found, you can safely proceed to gluing.
A big plus of this method of repairing an air mattress is the absence of the need for preliminary degreasing of the surface and manipulation with sandpaper.
All you need to do is pour a small amount of glue over the puncture site.
Do not worry if you get dirty on the sleeve of your favorite shirt during the gluing process. After all, cleaning clothes from superglue is as easy as shelling pears!
After the glue is on the surface of the mattress, it is necessary to slightly stretch the rubber in different directions 2-3 times. This will allow the glue to seize not only on the surface, but also inside the puncture.
Finally, leave the glue to dry for 10 minutes. After which the mattress will be completely renewed and ready for use.
In the case of bicycle cameras, the same manipulations should be carried out in the same order.
In the field and in the absence of patches, this repair method is simply irreplaceable. So don’t hesitate to take note of it!
And we are forced to say goodbye to go in search of even more interesting and useful everyday life hacks.
Have a nice day and see you soon!
iron logic. take super glue with you and it will help you to glue the camera if you didn’t take patches! the insanity grew stronger and the branches bent (super glue means you had enough sense to take, even a tool and a pump, and glue with patches is probably too expensive.)! Well, then why not take ordinary scotch tape, or even a piece of the camera? After all, the patch without vulcanization is just the stabilization of the puncture with glue from spreading and holding the patch in place, and even inflation, the action of the pressing force, where the patch is clamped between the inflated chamber and the tire! if the chamber and tire are good (not wooden china), the damage is small, and the pump is good, then in general you can do without dismantling in the field, simply by pumping the wheel to the maximum possible pressure indicated on the tire (although you need to pump quickly)
Unfortunately, superglue is not suitable for these businesses (it does not have elasticity). At first it seems that the puncture is sealed tightly, but at the most inopportune moment the wheel will lower, and the camera in the place of the defect cannot be repaired.
How to glue a bicycle camera at home and is it possible to do without glue?
All bicycle owners are familiar with the situation when a tire suddenly blows out. This trouble usually happens at the most inopportune moment and can disrupt plans. In the past, the most reliable solution was to repair the chamber using vulcanization in specialized workshops. Now there are new materials that have greatly simplified the repair procedure. Now you don’t have to carry your bike tube to the workshop, you can glue it yourself. We will discuss what will be needed for repairs and what is the best way to eliminate air leakage if at the time of damage a person is far from home.
How to find the puncture site of the camera?
The first step is to find and mark the location of the air leak. To do this, remove the wheel from the bicycle and remove the tube from the tire. Large defects can be seen on visual inspection. They help to detect the whistling of air coming out of the hole.
However, situations are even more complicated. What should a cyclist do if he stumbles upon a scattering of thorns and damages the camera in several places? There are several ways to find punctures in this case:
- With water. This method is used when there is a nearby container with water or a reservoir. The inflated bicycle tube is immersed in the water completely and you watch where the air bubbles come from. Places found are marked with a ballpoint pen.
- The tactile way. The section of the camera where the hole is supposed to be is brought up to the face. The sensitive skin of the face or lips is better able to sense even small leaks, from which air escapes silently.
- Using foam. The soap solution is whipped, the resulting foam is applied to the surface of the tire. Instead of soap, you can mix dishwashing detergent or shampoo with water. Damage points can be found by rapidly expanding single bubbles.
- With the use of powder. Powder, talcum powder, flour, starch or other fine powder is sprinkled on the surface of the chamber. In field conditions, it can be replaced with fine dust. At the site of damage, the escaping air will blow away the powder.
How to use the repair kit?
An example of a complete set of a Chinese-made repair kit:
- portable case;
- a set of keys of different sizes;
- accessories for removing the tube from the tire;
- a tube of glue;
- a device for cleaning the tire surface;
- large, medium and small patches.
Sets of this type cost from 500 rubles. They are equipped with tools that allow you to repair the bike yourself without resorting to the services of a workshop. The simplified repair kit consists of a set of patches, glue and sandpaper to clean the puncture site. It costs less.
Examples of repair kits:
- Park Tool Vulcanizing Patch Kit for 280 rubles. Contains 4 round (25 mm diameter) and 2 oval (25 × 35 mm) patches, glue, sandpaper.
- Lezyne Smart Kit priced at 290 rubles. Consists of a sheet of sandpaper and 6 patches coated on one side with a super sticky adhesive layer.
- “Park Tool Super Patch Kit” for 360 rubles. Contains a sheet of sandpaper and 6 self-adhesive patches with a diameter of 25 mm.
- Green Cycle YC-129A for 278 rubles. Contains a tube of glue, sandpaper, hooks for removing the tube from the tire, round patches.
- dismantle the wheel;
- remove the tube from the tire;
- find and mark the place of damage;
- release air from the chamber;
- clean the surface of the chamber at the puncture site until the dirt is completely removed and a black matte color is obtained;
- apply a thin layer of glue to the hole and around it;
- print the patch, being careful not to touch the orange degreased side with your fingers;
- attach the patch with the grease-free side to the area greased with glue and press down with your fingers;
- remove the protective film from the outside of the patch;
- wait for the glue drying period specified in the instructions;
- inflate the tire and check the tightness.
How to make a bicycle camera patch at home?
These types of repairs do not guarantee long-term results, but they are not required to do so. The purpose of the temporary patch is to seal the puncture and make it possible to get on the damaged bike to the house or another place where you can make quality repairs.
Temporary patch materials:
- plastic wrap tied tightly around the damaged area;
- insulating tape;
- medical plaster;
- a piece of cardboard, rubber or PVC cloth, planted on double-sided tape.
After the camera is repaired in this way, care should be taken to ensure that the temporary patch does not move from its place. For this, the camera is placed in the tire and inflated more than usual. Excess air inflates the chamber and strongly presses its walls, including the patched area, to the inside of the tire, preventing it from moving while driving.
What glue is better to use?
The glue must be compatible with rubber, be water resistant, maintain strength under conditions of increased pressure, and have convenient packaging. An important characteristic is the polymerization period of a particular adhesive.
If the repair is not urgent, then you can use long-drying adhesives, for example: “Sprut” (40 rubles / 50 ml), 88-CA (50 rubles / 60 ml), “Moment-1 Classic” (110 rubles / 50 ml ). The listed formulations dry out within a day and are inexpensive. However, they are not suitable for urgent repairs. Once glued, the bike cannot be used for 24 hours, which is not always acceptable.
For instant elimination of air leakage and repair in the field, quick-drying adhesives are more suitable: Loctite Super Attak Gel (300 rubles / 3 ml) and its domestic analogue Super Moment Gel (50 rubles / 3 ml). The advantage of these formulations is that they polymerize within 5 seconds. The disadvantage is higher cost for less volume. In addition, the use of such superglue requires a certain skill, since an incorrectly applied patch will instantly adhere to the camera and cannot be re-glued.
- release the brakes on the wheel to be repaired;
- release the eccentric;
- remove the wheel using a wrench and lay it horizontally;
- lower the bike to the ground with its left side down, so as not to damage the speed switch;
- bleed off the remaining air from the chamber by opening the nipple;
- hook the edge of the tire over the side with one of the plastic dismantling blades;
- with the help of the second spatula, remove the tire in a circular motion;
- pull the camera out from under the free edge, trying not to displace the tire relative to the wheel rim;
- inspect the tire and feel it with your hands in order to find the spikes, glass fragments or other sharp objects that caused the puncture.
The next step is to fix the camera in one of the following ways:
- repair kit;
- planting self-made patches on glue;
- temporary repairs using scrap materials;
- the imposition of a liquid patch or sealant;
The sealed tube is then checked for leaks and inserted back into the tire. This is done like this:
- insert the camera nipple into the hole in the wheel rim;
- moving in a circle, tuck the camera into the tire with your hands;
- pump up the camera a little, about half;
- fill the previously disassembled edge of the tire under the rim;
- make sure the tube and tire are laid down correctly;
- pump up the chamber to the pressure recommended by the manufacturer;
- install the wheel;
- twist the eccentric;
- fasten the brakes.
Is it possible to repair the camera without glue?
You can seal the hole in your bike tube without glue. Recently, a product has appeared on the market that allows you to eliminate even multiple holes without sealing. This product is called anti-puncture fluid and is a suspension of carbon fiber particles in a viscous polymer. Polymer with fibers is poured into the chamber and, under the action of centrifugal force, is distributed along its walls in an even layer.
At the moment of puncture, the air stream rushes outward and carries away the fibers that get stuck in the hole. The resulting plug is impregnated with the liquid component of the sealant and firmly seals the hole. The resulting microlat is inside and is additionally held by the air pressure in the chamber cavity. This method can be used both for express repairs and for preventing air leaks in case of damage.
The bottle with anti-puncture liquid is equipped with a tip through which the composition can be poured into the chamber through the nipple. A huge plus of this method is that you do not need to remove the wheel from the bike and remove the camera to fix it.
Another method of sealing damaged rubber has been known for a long time and is called hot vulcanization. The puncture site is pressed and heated to the melting point of the rubber. This temperature is 140–150 ° С and can be obtained not only in a tire workshop, but also at home using an iron.
- release air from the chamber;
- clean the surface in the area of the puncture from dirt and sand with sandpaper;
- put on a table or other horizontal surface with a puncture up;
- apply a ready-made patch or a piece of rubber cut by yourself;
- put the temperature regulator at 150 ° C and turn on the iron;
- cover the patch with a sheet of paper or a thick cotton cloth and put a hot iron on it;
- press with an iron for 5 minutes;
- remove the iron and paper, let the rubber cool completely;
- check the quality of the repair.
How to prevent punctures and tears?
It will not be possible to completely eliminate the likelihood of punctures, but there are several ways that can reduce the number of damage and repairs. Prevention measures are as follows:
- choose tighter tires, such as road tires;
- buy tires with an anti-puncture layer;
- timely change worn-out tires for new ones;
- install a tube that matches the tire size or slightly larger to ensure a snug fit;
- do not use cameras longer than the prescribed expiration date (from 3 to 4 years);
- do not ride unnecessarily over rough terrain, and overcome suspicious areas on foot, driving a bike nearby.
What you need to carry with you when cycling?
You can avoid this situation by bringing along a few minor troubleshooting accessories on the road. They will not take up much space, but they will save the bike owner from a lot of troubles associated with breakage and give confidence.
Recommended items list:
- repair kit;
- ball pen;
- mini pump;
- keys set;
- hooks for removing the tire;
- bottle of sealant;
- spare camera.
Bicycle tube puncture. how to glue it “forever”?
No matter how attentive the cyclist is, one day he will still have to face a puncture. You can take your bike to a workshop or tape the bike camera yourself. This is not difficult. You will need a special repair kit, superglue or just a patch. We will tell you about several ways to solve the problem.
How to properly glue the bike camera?
Camera repair is a common thing for cyclists. With a fair amount of knack, they can seal the camera in about 15 minutes. Beginners will need a little longer.
To do everything right, use the step-by-step instructions:
- Prepare the tool: keys and hexagons (for a bicycle with wheels without an eccentric), plastic assemblies for removing the camera, a vise for pressing the patch to the surface of the camera, pump, repair kit. You can do without special tools and even without a patch and glue. These methods will be discussed separately.
- Examine the tire tread. If you find glass or other sharp object, remember or mark this place. Then you won’t have to look for a hole for long.
- Remove the wheel from the bike. Disconnect the rim brakes and fenders (if equipped) first. Turn the vehicle over. Unscrew the retaining bolts. If the wheels are on the eccentric, squeeze the handle and unscrew it a little.
- Remove the camera. To do this, release the air by unscrewing the valve on the nipple (“nipple”). Then insert the mount between the rim and tire straight down. Step back 10-15 cm and insert the second mounting. Press down on the mounts, lift the tire and slide it over the rim. Now it can be easily removed by hand. There will be a camera in front of your eyes. You need to get it out by removing the valve from the groove in the rim.
- Find the puncture site: pump up the tube and squeeze. A characteristic whistle will be heard. If not, put water in a bowl and squeeze the camera under water. Air bubbles will appear from the hole.
- Bleed off the air and sand the area around the puncture with a grout in a repair kit or fine sandpaper. It is especially important to do this if a seam passes near the damage. For better adhesion, the surface of the camera should be flat and slightly rough (matte).
- Degrease and seal the puncture: wipe the surface with acetone or alcohol, and then apply a small amount of glue to the cleaned area. Spread evenly. Remove the protective foil from the patch and apply glue as well. Wait 1–2 minutes. the glue should thicken and become dull. After that, you need to apply a patch and iron it with force, moving from the center to the edges. Next, clamp the glued area in a vice or set the weight for 10 minutes.
- Put the tube, tire, and then the wheel in place. Inflate the camera slightly and insert it into the gap (starting with the “nipple”). Swipe your hands around the circumference of the wheel to set the camera in place. Pump it up and slide the tire over the edge of the rim. Screw on the wheel.
Using a repair kit
Repair kits are called “bicycle first aid kit”. They consist of spare parts, patches and glue. Expensive kits can be completed with a pump. The standard set includes:
- 6 patches;
- 5 ml of glue;
- 2 beads;
Such a repair kit will cost about 200 rubles. How to use it correctly:
- Dismantle the wheel.
- Determine the puncture site.
- Sand with grout.
- Take a patch of the correct size.
- Peel off the foil.
- Apply glue to the repaired area and patch.
- Wait 1-2 minutes.
- Press down and flatten the patch.
- Continue pressing it in for 10 minutes (use a vise, press).
You can ride a bike with the patch in 15 minutes. But it’s better to leave the camera in a vise for 2 hours.
Cyclists often ask if a bicycle camera can be repaired without a patch. The answer is yes. The bezel-less method is gaining popularity.
For repairs, you only need the right glue:
- Cianopan E (blue);
- “Moment” for rubber.
How to glue the camera without a patch:
- Find a hole.
- Lower the camera.
- Squeeze some glue (about the size of a pea) into the puncture site.
- Stretch the rubber gently, allowing the adhesive to seep into the hole.
- Wait 5-10 minutes.
- Put the camera in place and pump up.
No patch or glue
When going on a trip, it is advisable for a cyclist to have both a repair kit and a spare camera on hand. But there are different situations.
If you don’t have anything at hand, there are at least two ways to make your bike fit for use:
- Tie a knot on the camera. We remove the camera from the bicycle and find the puncture site. Let’s go down. We tie a knot so that the puncture is isolated from the main area of the chamber. Pump up and put on the wheel.
- Fill the tire with cones or grass. We take out the punched camera. We tear the grass or collect the cones (the latter is better). We fill the tire tightly.
The methods may seem barbaric. But they do work. It is better to travel slowly on bumps or with a knot than to drag the bike on yourself for many kilometers.
Using electrical tape, scotch tape, stickers, adhesive plaster
Field repairs are partly a creative process. If you connect your savvy, the camera can be repaired with improvised means. Look in your backpack for adhesive tape or remove the sticker from the frame. And if among the things there is a roll of duct tape or scotch tape. it’s generally great.
How to glue the bike camera with improvised means:
- Find the puncture site and lower the camera.
- Seal the damaged area by pressing the adhesive tape with force.
- Inflate the camera slightly (until an air bubble starts to form in the hole).
- Wrap the patches tightly on top of 2-3 layers of adhesive tape. You can tear the bag into strips and wrap the camera with it.
With a patch without glue
Sometimes the original glue from the repair kit runs out, but the patches remain. In this case, you can resort to the hot vulcanization method.
Vulcanization is a chemical process in which the raw material (raw rubber) is welded together with the tire.
The method is considered very reliable. But it is better to carry it out on special equipment, that is, using a vulcanizer. The device consists of a press and a heating element. The pressure in combination with heating up to 145-150 degrees helps to seal the puncture or cut for 4-25 minutes.
If you don’t have a vulcanizer, you can use an iron to glue the patch without glue at home. For this:
- Remove the camera from the bike.
- Get it down.
- Apply a patch over the damaged area.
- Put a newspaper and a piece of cloth on top.
- With an iron heated to 145 degrees, press down the patch with force.
- Do not remove the iron within 5 minutes.
- Let the rubber cool.
We learned how to deal with punctured cameras quickly, easily and without any effort on the part of the cyclist. All that is needed is to pour anti-puncture liquid into the chamber and spin the wheel well (drive several kilometers). The composition will be evenly distributed. After that, when a puncture occurs, the liquid will immediately seal the hole and prevent air from escaping. The cyclist won’t even notice that the puncture has occurred.
Popular anti-puncture fluids:
The liquid remains active for 2 years and protects against 100 punctures with a diameter of 3–6 mm. That is, during the period declared by the manufacturer, the camera does not have to be glued with your own hands. But you need to take care of safety in advance. Whole, undamaged chambers are filled with sealant.
Questions and answers
Is it possible to glue the camera without removing the wheel?
Yes. This will not affect the quality of the repair, but it will cause some inconvenience. It will be harder to find the puncture site and disassemble the wheel. It will take a lot of effort to move the tire and pull out the edge of the tube. Use the border. The rest of the repair is done in the same way.
What glue holds patches well?
It is best to use the glue that came with the patch. If it is over, then you need to purchase another glue suitable for rubber. RedSun glue is very popular among cyclists. The tube costs about 70 rubles. The composition hardens within 5-15 minutes and reliably glues rubber elements.
There are many different ways to get your bike camera repaired quickly. In the field, you can do without a repair kit. But you need to understand that this is a temporary option. Upon arrival at the parking lot, you should disassemble the bike, clean up the puncture site and glue the patch. Only with high-quality repairs, the “steel horse” is guaranteed not to let you down on a trip. For the future: it is advisable to take with you not only a repair kit, but also a spare camera. If the section near the nipple is damaged, it will be almost impossible to seal the puncture.
Bicycle camera repair, how and how you can glue the puncture
Sooner or later, every cyclist experiences such an unpleasant situation as a puncture of the bicycle camera. If you find that a wheel has flattened at home is one thing (although it also requires some knowledge of camera repair), but what if you punctured it during a multi-kilometer ride, for example, somewhere in the field? How to determine the puncture site in such a situation, correctly change and glue the bicycle camera, what glue and patches are best suited for this purpose. Additionally, in this article, we will consider some of the nuances of repair and proper operation of bicycle cameras, for example, we will talk about what pressure should be in them and much more.
Bicycle camera replacement
During long trips, it is advisable to carry with you not only a bicycle tool, but also a spare camera, with which you can quickly replace the failed one and go further. After all, this is much faster than waiting for the glue to dry on a freshly glued one. Therefore, in this section we will consider such a question as how to remove a bicycle tire and replace the camera when it is punctured.
- Remove the wheel from the bike. To do this, we loosen the eccentric (or unscrew the fixing nut on the axis).
- We wipe the side surfaces of the tire and rim from dirt with a rag.
- We put the wheel on its side and make a mark with chalk (or other materials at hand) on the tire opposite the nipple of the camera. If nothing is at hand, then we remember this position, relying on the side inscriptions. After that, the wheel should only remain on this side. This is necessary so that after we take out the camera and find a puncture on it, we can, by attaching it to the tire, find the place where a foreign object pierced the latter. In most cases, a nail or plant needle remains in the tire of the bike, and if not removed, it will pierce the new tube immediately after replacing it.
- We unscrew the cap of the nipple of the camera, and, pressing on the nipple, release the air until the edges of the tire “lag behind” the sides of the rim. You can keep the camera down completely.
- Then, using a special bead blade (mounting), we pry on the edge of the tire, and, resting the spatula against the rim wall, pull its side out.
It is important not to turn it over to the other side until we find the puncture site and find it on the tire (by attaching a camera to it).
Then the punctured camera should be repaired, for example, after you arrive home from a bike ride, or during a halt.
How to determine the puncture site
At first glance, a very simple procedure for identifying a puncture site can become significantly more complicated depending on where you find a flat tire (at home or while driving). To simplify the search procedure, it should be borne in mind that in 90% of cases it is located on the so-called “contact patch” of the wheel with the road, usually no higher than 2/3 of the camera height. An exception may be damage from the rim (if the rim tape is out of order on the latter) or the crawled iron threads of the tire cord. Therefore, we will consider several options for how to find the hole in the bicycle chamber through which air is released.
- The easiest way is to lower the camera into the water. It is enough to have an insignificant tank, the depth of which allows it to be immersed at least 2/3 of its height. We rotate the camera until we find air bubbles that will burst out of the water. After we take it out, we find the puncture site and proceed to repair.
- If there is no water nearby, then fine dust (which can be found on dirt roads) will come to the rescue. We increase the pressure in the chamber to strengthen the air stream from the hole and bring it a short distance to the dust (without touching it). We rotate the camera and look at the place where the dust begins to scatter.
- If the weather is calm outside, the puncture can be detected by holding the camera to the wet wrist (inside of it). The skin should be wet to make the search as easy as possible. For this method, it is also desirable to increase the pressure.
- With a strong puncture in a quiet place, it can be detected by ear.
How can you glue the camera
Not any glue or patch will work to fix a puncture on a bicycle wheel. Therefore, it is worth dwelling in more detail on the topic of what you can and what you should not glue the camera of the bike. There are several options, which we will consider below.
- Specialized repair kits. Many bike parts manufacturers produce so-called bicycle camera repair kits, which are usually a box, a crayon to mark the puncture site, a sander (usually a metal perforated plate or a piece of sandpaper), several patches of different shapes and sizes, and glue. The composition of the glue is specially designed for joint use with the surface of specific patches (with which it enters into a chemical reaction), therefore, using it in conjunction with patches from another manufacturer may not give a result. Fortunately, in most of these repair kits, the amount of glue is clearly calculated for the number of patches.
- Chinese bicycle camera repair kits. Some riders underestimate the power of the Chinese industry and look at their harnesses with disdain. I can’t talk about everything (I’m sure that some of them are really terrible), but for the last 4 years I have been using exclusively Chinese patches from Red Sun (although this may not be a company, but the name of a repair kit). They are quite common. For several years of use, none of the patches flew off and did not allow air to pass through. And the cost of this product is lower than that of famous brands. The disadvantages include that the set contains only glue and patches, and what is most offensive, patch is immeasurably more than glue. Well, these are little things. In general, I advise everyone.
- The third option is the most unreliable and therefore should be used only as a last resort. Here we have highlighted homemade patches that can be made from an old bicycle camera. Almost any plastic glue for rubber can be used as an adhesive. But in this case, the reliability of the patch is very low. Here they say so, “at your own peril and risk.” When using homemade patches, you cannot use glue, which, when hardened, can burst at bending points.
- Curing. It sounds good, it turns out very reliably (better than using any glue and patches, considering that you vulcanize in a specialized workshop), but in fact it is not worth the money and the hassle. It is quite difficult to do at home (and impossible in the field) and you can easily screw up the camera.
How to glue the patch correctly
After we have found and marked the puncture site of the bicycle tube, we should start repairing it, namely, glue this hole. To do this, you must perform the following operations.
- If the chamber is wet (after searching for a defect), then wait until it is completely dry. Plus, it must be completely deflated.
- Using sandpaper or a special perforated iron plate (which is usually found in bicycle kits for repairing cameras), we clean the puncture site until a matte color appears. The sanding area should be 1 cm larger than the diameter of the bicycle patch. After this procedure, we try not to touch this place with our hands or other objects.
- Remove the protective film from the surface of the patch, which we will glue to the camera.
- We apply glue. It can be applied only to the patch, only to the camera, or both. This information can be viewed on the glue tube. We also pay attention to the exposure time in air indicated in the same place and the time of complete solidification (the last two points may not be indicated).
What to do if the camera releases
If, after you have sealed the puncture on the bicycle tube, it still lowers over time, then you should check:
- Does the air poison from under the patch? To do this, the place with the patch should be immersed in water and make sure there are no air bubbles. If they are, then you will have to tear off the old one and glue a new patch.
- Check for other, smaller punctures by lowering the camera into water. If found, glue.
- Is there an air leakage through the nipple. To do this, you should spit on it (or, if you do everything correctly, apply a soapy solution) and observe for several tens of seconds. If it passes, then bubbles will form on it. In case of leakage, tighten the nipple with a special wrench.
- Has the metallized cord come out? It happens that over time on cheap bicycle tires the cord breaks down, which is a thin wire (more expensive tires use nylon threads and other materials), which can crawl out from the inside of the tire and constantly pierce the tube. If such a problem is found, the tire should be replaced as soon as possible. A temporary solution is to pull out the protruding cord wire and seal this place with a patch for the camera. But I repeat that in this case a tire replacement is required. this will be repeated regularly.
If the chamber is damaged at the base of the nipple (for example, it is frayed with the rim), then it is better to replace it immediately. As a rule, such defects cannot be repaired.
Tips on how to avoid punctures
There are a few simple rules to follow to reduce the chances of unexpected tire and tube damage while driving.
- Maintain the working pressure in the wheel at the required level. There is no specific figure here, since the nominal working pressure may vary for certain tubes / tires. For example, on mountain bikes the pressure in the chamber should be about 2.5-5 bar, and on road bikes it should be 6-9 bar. The bicycle tire has corresponding minimum and maximum pressure labels. It looks something like this. If the pressure is too low it will greatly increase the risk of puncture. It is worth remembering that when driving in winter or in the autumn-spring period, the temperature outside is lower than in the apartment. Therefore, on cold days, the chamber should be inflated a little more (because when the air temperature in a closed volume decreases, its pressure decreases). Therefore, if you pump up to 3 bar in summer, then in winter you can increase the pressure by about 1 bar (but not higher than the maximum allowable).
- Change tires after wear. With the depletion of its resource (wear of the tread), the probability of a puncture also increases. And if you have a worn out tire, and you began to notice that the wheel began to break through more and more often, you should think about replacing the tire.
On the bike parts market, you can find two more devices that are designed to simplify life (at least, they position themselves this way) when cycling. This is an anti-puncture tape and a sealant, which is poured in a small amount into the chamber and is designed to “tighten” punctures while driving.
Anti-puncture tape is a strip of soft, rubberized plastic or, in more expensive products, Kevlar, which can be glued or simply inserted between the tire and the bicycle tube and protect against punctures. But there are pitfalls here. A cheap anti-puncture, firstly, does not always protect against punctures, and secondly, it can fall apart inside the tire and grind the camera into dust with its fragments, thereby dooming the latter to ejection. Plus, it’s overweight. In general, after sitting on the forums, I agreed that they are more hated than praised.
As for the sealant, it’s not so good either. As a temporary solution, when you do not want to bother with replacing the camera, of course, you can use it. But the sealant does not seal the puncture completely, but only reduces air leakage. Plus, there were complaints after use, when they wanted to stick a patch on the puncture site.
In general, according to the editors, it is better to use better quality bicycle tires with built-in puncture protection, carry a spare camera with you and not bother with the above accessories.
After reading this article, we can conclude that replacing and repairing a bicycle camera is not such a difficult task, and gluing it during a trip is not much more difficult than doing it at home. The most important thing on long journeys is to have another spare camera and a puncture repair kit with you. Also, do not forget to pump up the chamber to the required pressure in time and change worn-out bicycle tires in a timely manner.
Should I glue the camera on my laptop with duct tape?
We will tell you how to protect your data and take care of your privacy. Do I need to tape the camera on my laptop or smartphone? How useful this method will be for ordinary users or is it the prerogative of famous people?
Big brother is watching you
Privacy in the modern world is quite tense. So much so that people are ready, armed with electrical tape, to glue all the inputs and outputs on the computer, so that personal information does not get to the attackers. “Big Brother is watching you”. a phrase from George Orwell’s dystopia perfectly personifies the modern world. Hackers periodically steal users’ personal data, photos, passwords, and so on.
Unsurprisingly, in a picture recently posted by Mark Zuckerberg, his laptop poses with a taped-up camera and microphone. You involuntarily wonder, maybe it really is worth taking care of your safety, covering your webcam and making passwords more difficult.
Hackers don’t care about me
And you can’t argue with that. Unless you are a major entrepreneur, politician, or celebrity, no one will purposefully follow you. But don’t forget about viruses that everyone can pick up. And if such an infection gets on your computer, the hacker will gain access to it, and at the same time to the devices connected to the computer. I think very few people will be happy with this prospect. Owners of Windows PCs on board are most at risk. They should get an antivirus and not download any rubbish like MediaGet, since viruses spread through 90% of such programs.
In this regard, Mac users are more fortunate, since there are fewer viruses, and it is more difficult to access the camera without the owner’s knowledge.
Yes please, I have nothing to hide
Believe me, a hacker is also not interested in looking at your bored face sticking into a monitor. But he can still harm. Remember at least the case in April 2016. Then the user of “Dvacha”, having access to several hundred computers, arranged a whole online show. He openly trolled people, turned on gay porn, music in the browser, and lit the page. The main thing is that the identity of the pest has not been established. Or, let’s remember the story of an unlucky Briton who monitored the sex lives of his friends via webcams. However, he was quickly tracked down and put behind bars.
Why am I all this? Tracking cases are not isolated, so you shouldn’t think of it as something distant that will never happen to you. In addition, in addition to hackers, special services are engaged in surveillance, Snowden spoke about this back in 2014. The NSA is quite capable of getting your smartphone to spy on you by turning on the camera and microphone. And you won’t even know about it. But, as I wrote above, if you are an ordinary person, the special services are not interested in you. While.
Therefore, do not rush to wrap all the equipment in the house with electrical tape, elementary precautions are enough. But in the case of Zuckerberg and other eminent personalities, duct tape is a completely justified step. precisely, one of the many steps to safety.
It’s fashionable to be afraid
It is worth thinking about your safety, but everything should be within reason. Fear of surveillance, many companies began to cash in, releasing various curtains and films for cameras. They talk about surveillance on TV screens, in movies, TV shows. And here it is important not to lose your head, otherwise the next step will be a foil hat.
So how to fight?
You can, of course, glue the camera and microphone, but if you are an ordinary person, you do not need electrical tape. Get yourself an antivirus, install only proven software and, of course, don’t post all your ins and outs on social networks. Nowadays, various services can tell a lot more about you than a webcam. Therefore, it is worth thinking about privacy and a password more difficult than your birthday.