A bike with a trimmer engine at home: engine selection, procedure
Fans of two-wheeled transport of movement use various modifications to improve bicycles.
Bicycles with a trimmer motor are very common. Such a device can be made independently, while there is no need to spend a long time and large financial resources.
Advantages of motorized bicycles over conventional trimmers
The use of this type of modification has a large number of advantages, which should include:
- devices can reach high speeds;
- the device works with an electric current generated by a trimmer;
- the motorbike has a high level of maneuvering, which is very important when moving around the city;
- products are hardy and can be used to overcome long distances;
- installation of such vehicles does not require a large amount of financial resources;
- bike care is simple;
- does not require much knowledge in the troubleshooting process;
- The trimmer is easily removable, so you can restore the original appearance of the bike at any time.
DIY bike with a trimmer motor
Before you start designing this type of vehicle, you should determine the power of the motor. After all, it is on this indicator that the endurance of the future bicycle and its ability to move at high speed depend.
The engine must be at least 2 horsepower, otherwise the bike will not be able to perform all the necessary functions.
The engine can be of several types: gasoline and electric. The first type of engine does not require recharging and has no connection to the electrical network, this is a great advantage. The most optimal is a four-stroke engine, since it has less noise during operation and less consumption.
The choice of an electric motor is suitable for short-term movements. The device will require regular recharging. Also, another disadvantage of such devices is their low power.
Required materials and tools
In order to start designing a bike with an engine, you need to prepare the following tools:
- the bike must be in good working order;
- a sprocket suitable for the selected engine;
- cable, with the help of which the connection with the throttle stick on the steering wheel will occur;
- exhaust pipe;
- consumables (washers, screws, clamps).
Making a bike with an engine. instructions
After all the components are prepared, you can proceed to assembling the product with a motor from the trimmer.
To do this, you must perform the following sequence of actions:
- on the rear wheel of the bike, you need to attach two spacers cut from the rubber. One spacer is placed between the needles, the second behind the needles;
- an asterisk is mounted on the outer side of the wheel;
- a crescent is mounted on the inside;
- check that the sprocket fits the trimmer motor;
- the motor is mounted to the trunk, secured with clamps. The engine must be positioned so that there is room for the battery;
- the tensioner is installed and the chain tension is adjusted;
- mounted on the handlebars of the throttle, after which the cable is mounted and connected to the motor;
- a gas tank or a small plastic container is mounted under the frame, in which there will be fuel;
- install an exhaust pipe (if such a part is provided);
- mounted carburetor.
In order for the device with a motor not only to ride quickly, but also not to lead to injuries, it is necessary to check everything thoroughly before starting the bike break-in. First of all, all components must be firmly attached to the frame.
The braking system must be of high quality, since a product with a trimmer has a high speed, therefore the brakes must be disc type. Also, for this type of bike, it is necessary to use tires on wheels that will have a low degree of slip.
It is also recommended to move on such a device using a helmet and other personal protective equipment.
After all safety measures have been taken into account, you can use the vehicle for its intended purpose.
I use it to go fishing to the local pond, the bike develops a decent speed and does not require any extra physical effort. Also, the device is easy to store, the only condition is to keep the engine dry.
A properly mounted bike has many benefits that the user will soon appreciate.
Electric bike. What motor can be installed on a bicycle
For mounting on a two-wheeled vehicle, 2 types of engines can be used. The choice of one of them depends solely on the preferences of the cyclist:
ICE is a gasoline engine (internal combustion), can be attached to a bicycle frame or mounted on a trunk. Most often, to make an electric bike yourself, engines from chainsaws, trimmers or lawn mowers are used. To transmit torque to the wheel, the structure must be additionally equipped with a drive, which significantly makes it heavier and makes the technical solution more complicated. However, a gasoline engine, securely attached to the bike frame, allows a noticeable increase in its speed, which often becomes a determining factor when choosing an engine type.
Along with this advantage, a number of negative factors should be taken into account, the occurrence of which is facilitated by the independent installation of an internal combustion engine on a bicycle:
- a significant increase in the weight of the bike. In the event that a gasoline engine fails, movement only with the help of muscle strength can become problematic;
- the need to have a supply of fuel with you;
- high noise level during operation;
- the presence of a smell of gasoline both during the movement and simply during storage of the vehicle;
- non-compliance with environmental standards.
In a number of countries, legislation requires mandatory registration of vehicles equipped with internal combustion engines, as well as the presence of a driver’s license of the corresponding category.
The electric motor is the most commonly used bike mount today. This design makes it possible to make the vehicle environmentally friendly, quiet, and also provide it with a relatively low weight. However, in addition to the electric motor itself, it is additionally necessary to install a battery, a controller, and a control device on the bike.
Currently, the following types of electric motors are mainly mounted on bicycle bikes:
- suspended. offered as a ready-made unit. Its integration with a bike is usually straightforward, even for a person with minimal knowledge of cycling. The motor is mounted on a bicycle, directly on the carriage or frame, and its small dimensions and weight greatly facilitate both installation and further operation of the bike. Various modifications of electric motors have a power from 250 to 2 thousand W, which allows speeds up to 35. 60 km / h. However, installing an outboard has a significant drawback. A serially manufactured motor is comparable in cost to a ready-made electric bike. You can make it more budgetary if you independently install engines from household appliances on your bike. The disadvantages of this option are increased wear of units and parts, as well as the need to additionally install a belt or chain drive;
- a wheel motor is the most popular option for modern bicycles. The engine power rating varies over a wide range, making it easy to select the best option. The motor is integrated directly into the hub, while the appearance of the bike remains practically unchanged.
There are 2 types of this design:
- uncooked motor. designed to be mounted on an existing wheel;
- finished wheel. suitable for direct mounting on a bicycle. Additionally, you only need to purchase a camera and a tire.
As a rule, the kit includes:
- brake and gas levers;
Battery not included and sold separately.
How to install a motor on a bike yourself
The installation of the engine depends on its type.
The gasoline engine should be attached to the bike as follows:
- installation begins with the installation of the sprocket. An important detail is the need to equip the sprocket with rubber gaskets between and behind the spokes. The star is attached to the hub on the outside of the wheel, while the crescent moon is on the inside. The gap should be at least one and a half millimeters on both sides. Correct this value if necessary and then tighten the bolts securely. The sprocket is mounted in such a way that all the irregularities of the teeth are directed towards the spokes. This prevents the chain from loosening and ensures the optimum distance from the frame to the rear wheel;
- the place for installing the engine is selected depending on the design of the bike frame. In modern models, it is recommended to mount the motor on the lower part of the frame, at a distance of 15. 20 cm from the sprocket. Special clamps are used for fastening;
- throttle installation is provided on the right side of the steering wheel. To do this, a 5 mm hole is drilled at a distance of 12.5 cm from the end of the handlebar to install the plastic mount. A switch is then installed that connects to the blue and black wires of the engine. When the switch is pressed, the motor should stall;
- the clutch is mounted on the left handlebar;
- the fuel tank must be installed after installing the fuel filter valve. The gas tank is attached to the upper frame of the vehicle;
- further, in the immediate vicinity of the engine, an ignition coil is attached to the bicycle, which is then connected to the engine using wires of the same color. The white wire is intended for connecting additional electrical equipment, for example, headlights;
- The drive chain is slid over the sprockets of the motor and rear wheel and then tensioned. Then protection is installed;
- at the final stage, the carburetor is installed. In order to do this on your own, you need to remove the cover, while the needle should be in the central part of the caliper, a flat washer is laid on top, all the slots are neatly aligned. The cable is fixed in the chuck and passed through the spring and cover.
The gasoline engine is designed to run on a gasoline-oil mixture, which can be made by mixing gasoline and oil in a 20: 1 ratio.
Installation of a motor-wheel on a bicycle will take no more than an hour even for an ignorant person. To do this yourself you will need:
- remove the old wheel;
- install and fix the motor-wheel, with the star on the right and the wires on the left;
- connect the controller. To protect it from moisture ingress, select the top of the frame for its installation;
- attach the battery to the frame or seat tube;
- place the throttle and brake levers on the steering wheel of the bike;
- connect the wiring in accordance with the diagram;
- install the chain;
- check that all components are firmly installed and securely fastened.
What tools are needed
To install the motor on your bike yourself, you may need the following tools:
- keys of various sizes;
- open-end wrench;
Installing a motor on a bike can significantly improve the speed characteristics of a conventional bike and expand its capabilities. The choice of the type of engine depends solely on the personal preferences of the cyclist. after all, nowadays any motor can be easily found in the retail network. And this article will help you easily cope with its self-installation on a bike.
How to make a bike with a motor?
Not many of today’s athletes remember that in the villages and small towns of the USSR there was a whole cult of home-made scooters. From the relatively affordable “Urals” and “tourists” by installing a motor for a bicycle, real works of engineering art were created.
A new round of market development at the turn of the 80s. 90s of the last century spurred the market of motors for them. Several types of motors are now available to cyclists, and even complete motorized bicycles are sold as a complete set.
What are they needed for
For starters. why install an engine at all?
The first is, of course, speed. With a good engine, a bike can reach speeds of 40-50 km / h without a cyclist. This is interesting when walking on a weekend, and on the way from work and to work, when you need to get there quickly, inexpensively, and also, preferably, not sweaty. Some even go to work on purpose using a bicycle engine, and return home, pedaling for pleasure.
The second is energy saving. Not everyone uses a bicycle as an extreme endurance trainer. I would also like to just ride for my own pleasure, and sometimes it is not so easy to do when the landscape consists of drops, gullies and hills with long climbs. To compensate for the environment unfriendly to poor athletic training, it is very pleasant to use the engine.
The third. quite conditional. is the passion of modern riders for progress and uniqueness. Long gone are the times of homemade mopeds described at the beginning of the article in every yard, and having a motorized bike, and even assembled by yourself, is very, very cool.
By the way, adding a bike motor makes life difficult for a rider from a legal point of view. Of course, even on a regular bicycle, we are full-fledged road users and are responsible for our behavior on the road. With the acquisition of source of work additional to muscular strength, the bicycle becomes a vehicle. Do I need a license to drive a vehicle? Yes, we do. This is a 2014 innovation.
Rights of category “M” are quite accessible. At the very least, all those who passed the category “B” have them by default. Separately, driving motorcycles, mopeds and scooters is rarely taught, although access to exams for this category is available 2 years earlier. In practice, the majority simply ignore this letter of the law and have no particular problems. Traffic police officers rarely contact maneuverable targets, only if a very young driver is driving.
Consequences of various violations:
- For driving without a license. 800 rubles. a fine and prohibition by management (the practice of application is not completely clear. either the bike is taken away, or non-existent numbers are removed).
- Participation in an accident. personal responsibility, since OSAGO on a bicycle was clearly not issued.
History and modernity
As already mentioned, initially the motors on bicycles were installed exclusively handicraft. engines were taken from various boats, motoblocks and just machines, the drive was made and the vehicle was ready.
Over time, the industry went to meet the folk craftsmen, and Soviet factories, in addition to producing ready-made Riga scooters, began to produce separate engines that were installed independently on arbitrary equipment.
The most popular and well-known bicycle motors are the D series from the Krasny Oktyabr plant in Leningrad. Some craftsmen in competitions accelerated to 100 km / h on products with this engine. Many people note that the quality of Soviet motors was unstable. Everything depended too much on the shift, batch, date of manufacture and, of course, the technical skills of the user. Series “D” was originally intended for the circles of young technicians, and the use of these components required preparation.
Another historical engine can be recognized as “Comet”. This engine was produced as a component for a very wide range of equipment. Chainsaws, walk-behind tractors, motor scooters and, of course, motor bicycles were manufactured on the basis of “Kometa”. Almost 2 “horses”, light weight and versatility have brought fame to this bike engine.
There has always been a wide variety of models abroad, which eventually came to us. Now the most popular motors are from Honda. They have become the de facto standard on both boats and motorized bicycles.
Types of motors
For such a miniature and fragile technology, only a few types of motors are suitable, so it will not be possible to talk about them for a long time. You can hang the engine on the frame or put it on the trunk. this is not so important, the main thing is on what fuel the new “heart” of the bike will work.
Until recently, the gasoline engine was the first thing to think about when mechanizing your bike. As already mentioned, the history of using gasoline engines on bicycles goes back more than half a century. Not only serial engines for bicycles were used, but also various exotics, for example, engines from trimmers and chainsaws.
For the movement of the bike, there is enough minimal power, by the standards of gasoline engines. Usually it is 1-2 hp. Accordingly, the volume of the engine starts at 50 cubic centimeters. Distinguish between single-cylinder (most Soviet models, motors removed from technology) and two-cylinder engines. With a difference in power of 1.5-2 times, the latter are usually installed when motorization is taken seriously. Usually, of course, these are imported engines, for example, Honda.
Usually a gasoline engine is as simple as possible, and two-stroke mechanisms are used, which are filled with a mixture of gasoline and oil and do not require special care. Comet, D-5 and D-6 and their Chinese clones F50 and F80 are two-stroke. In addition, they are easier to wind up and can be detachable. A 4-stroke motor is a rarity on a bike, a more complex mechanism is more economical, but its “pickup” is lower, and repairs, weight and cost are much more expensive.
Electric bicycles have dramatically overtaken gasoline-powered bicycles in recent years. Several factors “played” here at once:
- Reducing the cost of electric motors due to the unification of production in China.
- Inventions in the field of batteries that have become much lighter and more spacious.
- Complicating bike designs to the point where an electric motor becomes an acceptable accessory.
An electric bike motor is easier to install and maintain, but engineers have gone further than just the first step of replacing a gasoline engine with an electric one. Nowadays, motor-wheels have become very popular, when an electric motor for a bicycle is installed on the wheel hub in an integral way. This increases both ease of installation (just attach the wheel and battery) and lifespan. The absence of an additional chain drive and shifting mechanisms makes the design simpler and more reliable.
How is the motor installed on the bike? There are many models that come as a motorized bike and are electric bikes or virtually mopeds. Some companies (hello, “garage tuning”) are doing small scale conversion. Most of the motors are manually installed on bicycles by the cyclists themselves. Recently, kits (“whales”) have gained popularity, consisting of a motor and all the necessary parts, as well as instructions on how to equip your bike with them.
This is beneficial to the manufacturer. He does not carry any warranty for the entire bike, he does not need to adapt to the tastes of customers regarding frames, body kit and bike brand. For the buyer, this is an engineering challenge, an opportunity to make a serious upgrade of his two-wheeled horse inexpensively and with his own hands.
In any case, homemade products remain the most popular interests of cyclists. Someone chooses them because of their low cost. a “set” of a used Comet engine, a chain and several gears will cost 2-3 times cheaper than the price of a ready-made set. And the factor of technical curiosity, the pleasure that the motor is installed on the bike by hand is very important. This is how monstrous bikes with several gears and the notorious accelerators on household engines appear.
Equipping a bicycle with a motor is a serious matter. Both the average speed of the bike and its maintenance requirements increase several times, not to mention the cost. Over the years, “motorization” has evolved from a boy’s hobby into a whole business of equipping bicycles and producing components for this.
Buying and installing a motor is not a bike. a serious step, and, despite all the advantages, it is a difficult matter, and not all bikers are interested.
How to make a motor for a bike with your own hands at home
Bicycles are very popular today, not only among children, but also among adults. The main advantage of a bicycle is that it has a small size, and therefore you can not spend money on storage space, plus having such dimensions you can not stand in traffic jams and ride on the sidewalk or curb. In addition to its small size, the bike outperforms the pedestrian in speed, which is a very important criterion for its relatively low cost. The only downside of the bike is that it takes a lot of effort to ride. If this disadvantage is decisive for you, then a good decision would be to make a bike with a motor.
What you need to make a bike with a motor
One of the most popular motors installed on homemade bicycles today is a chainsaw motor. This is often done because the chainsaw has broken down and a working motor remains. For an average bike, a 1.5 horsepower motor is suitable. Required parts for installing a motor from a chainsaw on a bicycle:
- the motor itself with a power of 1.5 hp;
- serviceable bike;
- a clamp securing the motor over the frame or trunk;
- cable connecting the bike’s throttle lever to the engine
- a belt that serves to transfer rotation from the engine to a pulley attached to the wheel;
- two pulleys that will support the belt and will rotate taking rotation from the motor.
It may seem that the power of such a motor is not enough, but practice shows that such motors can accelerate heavy steel bicycles to a decent speed. The parts required when installing the engine from the trimmer (petrol cutters) do not differ much from those described above, with the exception of the engine. The rest is according to the situation and desire.
Preparing the motor removed from the chainsaw for installation
The main condition for creating a motorbike is the presence of all parts and their competent installation. It is advisable to mount the motor on a frame or above the saddle using a clamp or special mounts that, in addition to simply holding the motor, will allow you to change its height. Fasten the bushing to which the belt or chain is pulled using washers and screws. This must be done smoothly, avoiding any distortions. Bushings come in a wide variety of diameters, so before installing you need to choose the right one for your wheels. When choosing a belt, it is necessary to select it according to the diameter of the hub and wheels. The next important condition for installing the engine will be the use of a lever-gas. A cable will help to control the engine with its help. When the lever is depressed, a force will be transmitted through the cable to adjust the angle of the carburetor flap. To start moving, you will need to press the lever, like in a chainsaw.
Installing the motor from the trimmer
There are no structural differences between the motor and the trimmer and the motor removed from the chainsaw, therefore the installation is the same. The only differences are that it is better to use a chain with it in the kit, and not a belt, because the second one is erased too quickly, especially in rainy weather. Together with the chain, you will have to install another star.
Making a bike with a motor with your own hands using a wheel motor
A motor wheel is a device specifically designed to be mounted on a wheel as a force forcing a bicycle to move. In order to install it, you do not need separate parts, because it is already equipped with them. You will have to pay well for such amenities, so the option cannot be called a budget option, compared to the options above. The wheel is sold with throttle, brake, controller, charger and Pas system. The motor is activated by pedaling. The Pas system is responsible for activation during rotation. The handle, which is responsible for increasing the rotation speed, serves to gain speed.
To put everything together, you need to go through several steps, some of them will cause certain difficulties, but the result is worth it. The hardest step is installing the electronics, but if you follow the instructions, you can do it effortlessly. Procedure for changing a conventional wheel to a motor-wheel:
- Turn the bike upside down;
- Change the rear or front wheel to a motor wheel;
- Attach a battery to the bike in a convenient place;
- Install the controller, first isolating it;
- Connect the remaining required equipment.
Difficulties of creating a bicycle with a motor
In the case of a chainsaw or trimmer motor, the main difficulty is the selection of suitable materials. Materials and parts such as a pulley, belt or chain, if not properly selected, may simply not fit. It is also important to correctly position the motor, which, if positioned incorrectly, can interfere with driving. It is also important to protect the motor and controller from moisture and water, so you have to think about how you can avoid getting water into these parts. Also, a significant difficulty when creating a bicycle with a motor is the installation of all parts so as to prevent their further breakdown, that is, everything must be fixed carefully and firmly.
Pros of a bike with a motor
It’s no secret how useful a bicycle is and how many advantages it has. In addition to the advantages that a regular bicycle has, a motorized bicycle has a number of important characteristics that put it one step higher. Of its advantages, it is worth noting the ability to travel far, without much effort on the road. It is also very important that it is much smaller than a motorcycle, which makes it easier and safer to ride in traffic, which is very important today, given the huge number of traffic jams in large cities. Maintenance of such bicycles can also be attributed to the pluses, because the design is very simple and it will not take much time to replace parts in case of breakdown. Its low cost is also a good plus, considering that buying a motorcycle will be a more expensive decision, and almost everyone has an old bike. Making a bike with a motor would be a good solution for those who want to use their bike for long trips or to quickly get to work during rush hour. Also, the very process of its creation will bring a lot of pleasure to technology lovers.
Experienced in building a motorized bicycle? Discuss and share in the comments. Watch a video where the bike motor is made from a motor from a grinder.
Homemade bike with a motor
There are a number of obvious advantages to using a bicycle for transportation. It is inexpensive, environmentally friendly, and allows you to keep fit. With it, any trip turns into a pleasant walk. The daily route from home to work and back brings only pleasure, because the bike avoids traffic jams during rush hours and eliminates the need to storm overcrowded subway cars or bus salons.
But if your office is located at the other end of the city, the relief of which is continuous ups and downs, then an easy walk turns into hard work, and every meter passed reminds you of the torment of the first Christians. When you finally get to work, you feel tired and exhausted. Your body needs rest, and there is still a whole day ahead. The prospect of going all the way in the opposite direction in the evening is also not good for your mood. If, moreover, there is no opportunity to take a shower, then a persistent smell of sweat will accompany you all day.
What if you don’t want to part with the bike, but looking for work closer to home is also somehow not with your hands? In this case, you can purchase a bike with a motor or install the motor on an existing one. The industrially manufactured version does not require modifications, but it is quite expensive and often has a not very attractive design. To keep costs down, manufacturers use cheap haiten parts and frames in these bikes. As a result, such a bike weighs more than 20 kg, and if the engine fails for any reason, it will be very difficult to move on it using the pedals.
A homemade bike with a motor is devoid of these disadvantages. In the past, such devices were rather clumsy and were used mainly by teenagers, but now the market offers a wide range of solutions with which you can turn an ordinary bike into a high-tech vehicle with your own hands. Such alteration does not require any serious technical knowledge, so you should opt for this particular option.
Before starting work, you should decide on the type of power unit that you are going to use. The selection should be guided by criteria such as weight and the preferred type of fuel used. There are only two main types, so you won’t have to rack your brains too much:
- Internal combustion engine (ICE). For a long time, a gasoline engine remained the only possible solution available for installation on a bicycle. Most often these were converted chainsaws and lawn mowers. Finding a suitable small engine is not difficult now.
- Electric motor. recently, he was a clear outsider, but the advent of compact high-capacity batteries allowed him to push the gas engine into the background.
The use of an internal combustion engine makes it easy to develop significant speed, and this circumstance often becomes a decisive factor when choosing a power plant. However, do not forget that the bike remains the same bike, and its components are not designed for such high loads. It is necessary to constantly monitor its technical condition, otherwise it may simply fall apart at the most inopportune moment.
Usually the gasoline engine is mounted on the trunk or attached to the frame. In both cases, the transmission of torque from the engine to the wheel will require some form of transmission, which increases the complexity and weight of the structure. Do not forget about the weight of the engine itself, as well as the supply of fuel that you have to carry with you. If the motor fails, riding such a bike with the help of pedals alone will be very difficult.
The use of gasoline as fuel kills the very idea of an inexpensive and environmentally friendly form of transport. During a walk, instead of birds singing, you will only hear the sound of the engine, and if you decide to keep your bike at home, then your apartment will always smell like a gas station.
Another aspect that requires close attention relates not to the technical, but to the legal side of the issue. In many countries, the use of bicycles equipped with internal combustion engines requires registration and a license of the corresponding category.
The combination of all these circumstances makes it possible to safely exclude the gasoline engine from consideration. Indeed, why “reinvent the wheel” (or motorcycle) again, if the market is already full of affordable scooters and mopeds. Therefore, it is worth leaving the internal combustion engine aside and moving on to considering the second option, which is now a priority.
Although the idea of making a bicycle with an electric drive appeared at the end of the 19th century, the level of development of electrical engineering did not allow its full use in practice. In the early 90s of the last century, there was a surge of interest in such devices. Since then, the electric bike has taken a strong position among urban modes of transport, and its popularity only grows every year.
First of all, an engine with a friction transmission should be excluded from consideration, since its low reliability and insufficient efficiency do not allow achieving any acceptable results when using it. There are two options left: the outboard motor and the wheel motor, and both have their pros and cons.
Outboard bike motors have a number of advantages. They are supplied in the form of a ready-made kit, the installation of which does not cause any difficulties with your own hands; the motors are easily mounted on the frame or directly on the carriage, have small dimensions and weight. There are also options for an electric motor integrated into the carriage assembly. Many of them allow you to change gears using your existing bike drivetrain. Some engines are designed with an energy recovery option, which significantly conserves battery power. The power of such electric motors ranges from 250 to 2 thousand watts, which makes it possible to develop a fairly decent speed.
But this solution, in addition to numerous advantages, has one huge drawback. a high price, comparable in size to the cost of a factory electric bike. If we add here the costs of purchasing a battery, controller and other spare parts, then the benefit of this option becomes completely unclear.
Cheap transport turns into very expensive, and not everyone agrees to go to such costs.
An alternative to the factory kit can be the assembly of the power unit from the available spare parts. Often, motors from various household appliances or power tools are used for these purposes. Do-it-yourself installation of such a motor can be a non-trivial task, especially for people who do not have mechanical skills. Some of the problems have already been mentioned when considering a gasoline engine. Firstly, these are the increased loads on the bike nodes caused by the increased speed. Secondly, the need to use a belt or chain drive, which complicates the design and increases weight.
It is difficult to advise something specific to those who decided to independently undertake such a project, since each case is individual and depends on many factors. There are only a few general considerations.
- First you need to choose an engine that is suitable in terms of power and dimensions. If it should only help to pedal and reduce physical activity, then a small motor with a power of 200-250 W will do. If you strive for high speeds, then you will have to look for a model with 350 W and higher.
- Then you need to carefully consider the mounting of the engine, choose a suitable place for it, correctly calculate the transmission parameters, the length of the chain or belt. Use already known, well-proven solutions. This will save you from serious mistakes, save time and money.
- Do not get too carried away and try to make a revolution in technology. For some people, the process of technical creativity itself is important. They spend a lot of time constantly reworking and improving something. It’s almost 100% certain that their machine, built with the most incredible components, will never be completed. Such “Frankensteins” are doomed to spend their entire lives in the garage, and if they leave it for testing, they go not far and for a short time, immediately break down and return to the workshop for revision and improvement.
- Pay particular attention to structural strength. Your health depends on it, especially if you are going to put a powerful engine.
Bicycle wheel motor
The most popular and affordable type of electric motor for a bicycle is a wheel motor. This device avoids many of the disadvantages of outboard motors. It is a DC motor mounted directly into the hub. Its power varies in the widest range, which makes it easy to choose the version that suits your needs. It is much cheaper and doesn’t change the look of the bike. Installation of a motor wheel does not take much time, and anyone who can read the instructions can easily handle it, and for the rest there are a large number of drawings and videos that illustrate the process in detail.
As a rule, the manufacturer offers two types of delivery: an unspoked motor and a finished wheel with spokes and double rims. The first option allows you to insert the engine into an existing wheel, and the second is completely ready for use, only a tire with a camera is missing. Usually the kit also includes a controller, throttle and brake levers, connecting wires, fasteners and a charger. Most often you have to buy the battery separately.
When choosing a motorized wheel, you should pay attention to the correspondence of the dimensions of its hub to the distance between the fork legs or frame stays. If its length is greater, then they will have to be pushed apart, which is highly undesirable.
Converting a simple bike to an electric bike usually takes only half an hour. The wheel motor is easy to install from both the front and rear. You can use two engines at once and end up with an all-wheel drive bike. Next, the controller is connected, the battery is attached to the frame or seat tube, the throttle and brake levers are placed on the handlebars. Then all these components are connected using wires. Each of them has an individual connector, so it’s impossible to make a mistake. That’s all, you can get on the bike and hit the road.
It is difficult to answer all the questions that may arise in the process of installing an engine on your favorite bike in one article. Each of the listed alteration options has its own advantages and disadvantages. It can only be noted that in terms of such parameters as price and ease of installation, the undisputed leader is the wheel motor. Use a little bit of diligence and ingenuity, and you will certainly succeed. After all, you are not building a time machine, but just a bicycle with a motor.