This simply means that the handlebars have a wider diameter in the middle than at the ends. In fact, adding metal adds strength. The larger the pipe, the stronger it is and therefore weighs more.
How to choose a bicycle handlebar?
During steering, the steering wheel is the fulcrum. In general, the wider the handlebars, the stronger the leverage. A fulcrum is needed at the moment when a person pushes or pulls, being a stable basis from which to start work. By making the steering wheel wider, you will spread your arms far apart and will actually lose the edge.
Ideally, when bending over the handlebars, keep your hands at shoulder level. You can place them a little more tightly, or a little wider, but in any case, no more than at a distance of 5-8 centimeters.
The road bike does not often have to go uphill, the only thing is when the front wheel runs over obstacles. For a mountain bike, for him, moving up the hills, the main indicator of excellent control.
- Road bike. you are positioned low on it, and the body is tilted slightly forward. This means that there is not enough driving force when you need to pull the steering wheel back, the action required to climb a hill. Most athletes keep their hands on the tops of the bar.
- Mountain bike. on it you sit more likely in the back, which helps to avoid obstacles. On downhill bikes and now gaining popularity in cross-country, cyclists use a high handlebar. This shifts the weight back. which is so important for a speedy descent.
Everyone knows that the more you bend over the handlebars, the more weight and pressure is transferred to your arms. On a road bike, this pressure is unchanged, as the cyclist almost constantly rides in the same position. But the plus is that in this type of transport, the steering wheel is lowered, and this function allows the hands to take different positions, and relax them a little.
Mountain bikes are equipped with a straight handlebar, which requires the cyclist to ride in only one position. But due to the fact that you are sitting high, your hands do not feel constant pressure, so being in the same position all the time will not be a problem. Horns can be added if desired, this will allow the hands to assume different positions. If your wrists or hands start to go numb after a long trip in the mountains, you should change your posture.
- Hands should not be too wide apart, they should remain shoulder-width apart.
- Make sure the body does not bend over the handlebars unnecessarily. If so, move the saddle forward, purchase taller horns, or combine both.
In fact, the tall handlebars, which are primarily used for downhill bikes, are designed to be even more robust while reducing weight. Connections usually run in the middle of the steering wheel.
To reduce weight, manufacturers make the handlebars thinner, tapering from base to grips. This gives strength where it is needed most.
Choose a handlebar that best fits your shoulder width. On the low and straight CFRP handlebars, only the selected width can be used. On a straight bar made of aluminum or alloy steel, you can remove the ends in order to grip with a narrow grip.
How to choose a handlebar for a bicycle, types and features
The ability to control the bike is essentially the handlebar and stem. All other parts. grips, additional horns, winding, lounger. these are add-ons that are used in different situations. The handlebar for a bicycle is more than a part with which you can control the direction of travel. The handlebars of the bike also help to maintain balance and take some of the weight of the cyclist. In addition, the bicycle handlebar is a real center of bicycle control.
You can attach a basket, bike computer, reflectors, lights, signals and many other additional elements to the handlebars. Most bicycles have derailleurs and brake levers attached to the handlebars.
The variety of bicycle handlebars today is quite large, the handlebars differ in:
- Material of production
- Which bicycle handlebar to choose for yourself and what to look for at the same time?
- What are bike handlebars?
- Mountain or straight rudders
- Ram or road handlebars (Drop handlebar, Drop bar, Maes curved handlebars, racing handlebars)
- Ram’s horns are:
- Handlebars for road and recreational bicycles (high handlebars, vertical handlebars, Cafe bar)
- Handlebar for BMX
- Steering wheel “butterfly”(Butterfly, trekking)
- Steering wheel “mustache” (Mustache)
- Cowhorn steering wheel
- Handlebar material and weight
- How to choose the width of the steering wheel?
- The diameter of the steering wheel along its edges is:
- Adjusting the height of the bicycle handlebar.
- Handlebar diameter for stem attachment
- What is a bike stem?
- Types of offsets by type of manufacture
- Stem length
- Bicycle grips and handlebars
- Bicycle handlebar tape
- OFF TOP
Mountain or straight rudders
Such a rudder is a straight or slightly curved tube at the stem attachment point. It is installed mainly on mountain bikes or hybrid bikes. Large levers and a medium landing slope provide better bike control over rough terrain. Most often found in extreme mountain disciplines and cross-country.
The saddle mount ensures that the rider is positioned at an angle of about 45 degrees, so he has good visibility, the ability to pedal quickly and is less stress on the spine. Mountain rudders are well suited for off-road use. It is convenient for them to quickly maneuver in the city or on a narrow mountain path.
The disadvantages of this form of steering only affect very long journeys. When the inability to reposition the arms and back occurs, it leads to numbness and pain. To avoid this, the handlebars can be fitted with removable horns that allow you to relax on relatively flat sections of the path.
There are different varieties, for example:
- Flat. they are more sporty, more straightforward, they are installed mainly on MTB, mountain and hybrid bicycles for measured and not aggressive riding.
- Risers are more comfortable, wider than the previous ones and with a slight rise. Typically, these handlebars have a stem diameter of 25.4 mm and a diameter at the ends of 22.2 mm.
The stem length is measured from the center of the handlebar clamp, along the stem, to the center of the fork stem. It is selected individually for the bike and must be matched to the height of the cyclist.
Stem length affects handling, a shorter stem gives the bike more maneuverability. The stem length is usually from 35 to 100 mm, but there are also models with a length from 0 to 140 mm.
Types of offsets by type of manufacture
The stem is bolted to the bike. There are several options:
- Single bolt;
- 25.4mm mounting feet. This type is found on urban and stunt (BMX) bikes.
- 31.8mm. most mountain bikes.
- Stem under the steering tube with a diameter of 35 mm.
The stem material can be different:
Which bicycle handlebar to choose for yourself and what to look for at the same time?
First of all, you need to understand that each type of bike is intended for its own category of bicycles, i.e. the racing handlebars are designed for good maneuvering, and the city bike handlebars are designed for a comfortable position for the cyclist and minimal fatigue in urban conditions.
- The number of available hand positions. The fact is that while traveling, you need to regularly change the position of your arms and body to relieve tension from your arms, wrists, back and waist. For example, if you are riding a bike in a strong headwind, or you need to ride long and fast, then it is better to assume an almost horizontal body position. With a leisurely ride around town, the body position is upright. If the steering wheel has one or two positions, then it is not very suitable for long trips, since the steering wheel only allows you to take an upright position of the body.
- What kind of body position do you prefer when traveling? The fit on a bike can be either the usual vertical, or more stretched and inclined sports, it all depends on the type of your bike, but in general, for anyone who rides a bike, the rules are almost the same (except, of course, the BMX class, because this is a very special section of bicycles). If you adjust the steering position correctly, it will be comfortable and easy for you to ride on your trips.
- Diameter compatibility with stems, derailleur mounts, brakes, grips and other attachments. For example, bells, lanterns, front white reflectors, rear-view mirrors, as well as a bicycle computer. Usually correlates with bolt diameter and is 23.8 and 22.2 mm.
- The steering wheel should be strong enough to absorb vibration. These properties depend on the material from which it is made and on its diameter. Also, of course, it is worth considering the weight of the rider himself and the width of the steering wheel itself.
- The most important thing. It is you who should be comfortable and comfortable with the selected steering wheel. It often happens that one type of handlebar suits one cyclist and is completely uncomfortable for another. When changing from one type of rudder to another, you may not always like everything right away. Sometimes you need to travel for a while and get used to it. This situation most often occurs when, for example, a cyclist changes from a mountain bike to a sports speed bike or vice versa.
Bicycle handlebar tape
Winding is needed for rudders of type “ram” and the like. You will not pull the grips on them, so you need to use a special winding.
The range of materials for making a winding on a bicycle handlebar is wide and it can be made from polymer materials, artificial leather, natural leather and textile materials.
The windings are highly durable and pleasant to the touch. High-quality winding is able to provide excellent grip with hands, and hands will not rub even if used without gloves. In addition, the material can be smooth, patterned or perforated.
When choosing a handlebar for your bike, you should take into account the nature of your ride, hand grip data, stem diameter and the handlebar itself.
How to choose the width of the steering wheel?
Bicycle stem is designed to attach the handlebars to the vertical steering column post or directly to the fork stem. This part of the bike is responsible for the correct fit of the cyclist.
Combined with the right frame and saddle, stem can significantly improve ride comfort, reduce the rate of fatigue and improve pedaling efficiency.
Optimal handlebar width for a bicycle
Optimal handlebar width for a bicycle
Hello dear readers, I haven’t contacted you in writing for a long time. Today we will talk about a very important parameter of the bicycle. the width of the handlebars. I recently tested a light freeride bike with a narrower handlebar than my street park bike, around 640mm. So what’s the deal, you ask? Maybe it’s more convenient for the owner. And the fact is that for each discipline, there is a minimum safe steering wheel width, even not so. the minimum comfortable one. I just came up with this concept 🙂 The size of the handlebars is selected depending on the type of bike, riding style, terrain and shoulder width of a particular cyclist.
For hybrid and road cyclists, the optimal handlebar width is the same as shoulder width for free breathing.
Mountain bike enthusiasts choose the size of the handlebars depending on the style and the intended terrain. It is believed that rudders with a width exceeding 2.5-6 cm shoulder width are well suited for rough terrain. A narrow handlebar on a freeride bike is good only if you have a bad eye, the sense of size is junk, and the track is filled with trees, and yes, you think that the brakes were invented for cowards. In all other cases, front bicycles require a wide handlebar, at least 700 mm wide. Yes, yes, I know what you are thinking about the rider’s shoulder width right now. I agree that everyone has their own and a guy with narrow shoulders will be uncomfortable on a wide steering wheel, but if you take an average person 170 cm tall, he will get used to a width of 700 mm in one day. For a girl, you can saw off the steering wheel a little, because their hands are shorter than those of guys. It’s definitely not worth putting your children on a fr bike.
So, back to the question of why you need a wide wheel for freeriding. everything is simple, just turn on the logic. Fr means high speeds, which means you need precise steering, each degree of wheel turn significantly affects the trajectory of movement, safety and comfort depend on it. It is more comfortable to hold on to a wide stick than a narrow one. The wider the steering wheel, the more accurately you can steer and the stronger and more comfortable it is to keep the weight on the steering wheel, resting your hands on it. Of course, if you are narrow-shouldered, then the prohibitively wide handlebars will cause discomfort. It is also safer to pass narrow forest tracks with a moderate steering width.
For cross-country skiing in forests and parks is typical, trees are much more common there and they grow more densely. For this and several other reasons, cross country handlebars are mainly 580-620 mm. Less often they take wider handlebars, up to 720 mm, but this is an amateur and more often for allmountain and enduro. In pure sight, for racing they take narrow handlebars. Have you seen how in road racing or cross country competition, riders stand on the pedals and pedal powerfully, while rocking the bike left and right? So doing such a power acceleration with a wide steering wheel is very inconvenient.
Stunt disciplines such as MTB / BMX Street, Dirt, Park are mainly characterized by small and medium width rudders, although in recent years wide rudders have also invaded freestyle disciplines. Since the age of riders starts as early as 12 years old (or even less), the degree of impact on the audience in the video industry is very high. Here is a 13-year-old boy watching a video with Garrett Reynolds and sees how he wets tricks on a wide 730 mm wide handlebars and thinks that if he has the same, he will ride like Garrett. This leads to the fact that the guy does not properly distribute the load on his shoulders, hands, back and he cannot ride normally.
The handlebars need to be cut to a width that is comfortable for YOU! Those who believe that the sawn-off steering wheel loses its virginity. keep your statements away from children, it will not give them anything. My advice is to grab the steering wheel so that the hands are slightly further than your shoulder width, this will be a comfortable width.
As for the tricks with the steering wheel twisting. yes, you can turn the barspins at least 800 mm on the steering wheel, but to whom and what are you trying to prove with this? Personally, it’s convenient for me to make bars on handlebars up to 720 mm, this does not mean that I cannot make a bar on 800 mm handlebars, but why should I make myself a problem :)?
Handlebar and stem
As I said, in modern bicycles the handlebars are not height-adjustable, but there are a few things you can do. The stem of the rudder (the short stick on which the rudder is attached) has an angle and length. There are stems with different sizes, and buying the right one can significantly improve the riding experience. If the bike is too big, take a shorter stem, if it’s too small, then take longer.
The stem can be installed both with a rise and with a descent, there are also adjustable stems, handlebars with and without rise. This will slightly change the height of the steering wheel.
Offset seat post
If even after the maximum longitudinal adjustment of the seat back, you still feel that the bike is too short, then the seatpost can help with the shift back. This will give you the extra 3-5cm you were missing for a comfortable fit.
Hope these tips help you navigate and choose the right bike size. The next logical step will be skiing itself, and soon I will publish an article on how to prepare yourself for long distances. Don’t miss, subscribe to receive my notes by e-mail.
If you have any questions or suggestions for choosing a bicycle size. please in the Комментарии и мнения владельцев.
Bike handlebar horns help lengthen the ride
This is a very important element at long distances, allowing you to change not only the position of the arms, but also the whole body. Install them almost parallel to the ground, with very little elevation. You should be able to, as it were, lie on the horns with your palms, bringing the center of gravity forward.
Set the seat height correctly
Many novice cyclists, especially teenagers, set the saddle well below the desired level, resulting in a fit we call the knees above the ears. It not only looks funny, but also very dangerous for the knee joints.
The height of the saddle should be such that when the pedal is set at the lowest point of the pedal, when set with the toe, the leg is slightly bent (or completely straightened if you pry the pedal from below).
Also, place your heel on the pedal, in which case it will fully straighten. This is a very important point, remember, friends! Perhaps at first it will seem uncomfortable to you that in the event of a sudden stop of a large one, you cannot touch the ground with your feet without getting off the seat, but believe me, the health of your knee joints is orders of magnitude more important than convenience.
What is ETT and why frame geometry is so important
Here is a drawing of a mountain and road frame. Notice only two sizes: ST (seat tube length) and ETT. an imaginary line from the center of the head tube to the intersection with an imaginary axis through the seat tube. In fact, ETT is the length of the bike, the most important size when choosing a bike, and which novices will never look at.
Note that both frames are for the same person, although the ST size (exactly the one that will be listed as the frame size) will be different in this case. That is, due to the differing geometry, a person who was advised an 18 “frame without looking could be very mistaken.
This example shows the differences in geometry between road and mountain frames, but don’t think that frames are the same within their class. For example, I have one of my mountain bikes. 21 “and it is a little short for me, while the other is only 19”, but longer than the first. The difference is that the second has a longer upper tube (ETT size), but the seat tube (ST) is shorter.
When choosing a bike by height, first of all look at its length, because, as I said, what is written on the frame means only the size of the seat tube, and this is not a very important parameter.
Bike size. How to choose the right one
The question of how to determine the correct size of a bicycle frame is one of the most common questions that beginners hear from beginners. And unfortunately, they usually get a not entirely correct answer from those people who themselves go out for a ride only a few times during the summer, and do not fully own the information.
As a result, beginners buy a bike with an unsuitable frame for their height, which is fraught with knee and back problems. The wrong frame size is driving discomfort, which you will feel immediately, as soon as your mileage grows to 30-50 kilometers per day. Worst when the frame is small, but also little good when it is large.
Therefore, I decided to give some advice to my readers in the early stages of cycling. Traditionally, the size of the bike frame is indicated by the length of the seat tube (ST dimension in the drawing below). Here is a very conditional table by which you can determine the correct frame length for your height.
Longitudinal saddle adjustment
Ideally, your foot should be on the pedal so that, in the position shown in the picture, the pedal axis is directly below the knee joint. This can be achieved by moving the saddle longitudinally.
Table of dependence of wheel diameter and bicycle purpose
Another thing is that purely from an aesthetic point of view, this 188cm uncle will look much more harmonious on a bike with large wheels. Wheel size and its dependence on the type of bike can be seen from this table:
|16-24 inches||Folding, for the city and good asphalt|
|26 inch||Mountain, with outdated wheel size|
|27.5 inch||Mountain, modern, high maneuverability|
|28 inch||Road, road, city, touring|
|29 inch||Mountain, modern, good roll|
Please note that modern bikes do not have adjustable handlebars (except for city bikes), so if the size is incorrect, you will not be able to play. Unfortunately, I will not be able to give a table of sizes, because in any case they will turn out to be very strongly dependent on the specific geometry of the frame and your anatomical features. Therefore, only tips to help you choose a mountain bike or hybrid.
- If possible, try the bike yourself. If there is no way to ride, then at least sit on it.
- Standing with both feet on the ground (bike between the legs), the distance from the crotch to the upper tube should be at least 5-7cm. Shorter distance can lead to injury if you fall or just make an emergency stop.
- If you buy a bike online, use the frame length (ETT) tips above. The longer the bike, the sportier the fit. For speed and efficient twisting uphill, it is very important to spread over the frame, so if you are buying a bike for sports use, I recommend long and low frames.
- Conversely, short frames are recommended for a leisurely, comfortable ride around a flower bed. Look at the city bikes: the seating position is almost vertical, the person sits like on a stool, only holding the steering wheel. In this case, skating long distances is also not very comfortable: the entire body weight falls on the spine. For a more or less serious catalex, short frames are much worse than long ones.
- The ideal frame for the advanced cyclist with no sport inclination is a mid-length frame where you don’t have to flatten out, putting weight on your hands, but also don’t have to sit on your tailbone. On such a bike, provided you have the right saddle (Brooks, of course), you can roll tens of kilometers without feeling discomfort from landing.
There are many accessories available, all of which can enhance your steering experience. The main additional element is the grips. They are hand grips that improve grip. They can also be absorbent so there is no chance of wet hands slipping off.
Usually, cheap grips are made from neoprene. They are easy to use, provide good grip and are available in a wide range. Neoprene pads can be easily torn, so don’t rely on their durability.
expensive grips are made from high quality rubber, which is durable, grips tight and also absorbs moisture.
Horns are another accessory. Some types of bars already contain this element and do not need them, but if you install them on a simpler bar, you will be in a big plus. This will increase the number of grip points and make your ride more comfortable. Instead of grips, you can use conventional tape or other materials. This option is in any case safer than a conventional steering wheel without everything.
The handlebar extension will allow you to enlarge the handlebar when its own size is no longer enough. By its structure, it resembles a double-sided stem for each handle. It should be borne in mind that such a handlebar will have to install elongated grips if you need them.
May be called a travel rudder. Its design is somewhat similar to a ram-type steering wheel, since the handles are bent in different shapes, but reduced to the main frame. If bike handlebars for road racing are made so that you can pick up high speed, then this device is made for long-distance riding. The large number of grips and grips allows your wrists to rest, which is essential for a long ride. For more convenience, you can expand the stem and reposition your body. You can also use a sporty or simple riding type.
The type of handlebars most suited to compact bikes. The design is based on a telescopic stem, with which you can lower the bicycle wheel. The handles can also be folded down to keep them out of the way.
This view looks like a butterfly in appearance, but its handles are not brought to the end of the support frame. These handlebars are often found on today’s cheap bicycles. The low price is due to the fact that there are not as many places for capture as in a butterfly, but the functionality does not suffer from this. The absence of sharp and uncomfortable corners creates multiple grip points to rest the hands and ride long distances on the highway.
This device is designed for rough terrain. The straight position of the structure allows the rudder to be very strong and not have weak points. Previously, such parts were not made from special materials, since the already simple structure provided suitable strength. Now you can find mountain rudders made of carbon, metal alloys or titanium.
It is very important for a cyclist to feel comfortable, but because of this shape of the handlebar, the hands begin to tire quickly, so the mountain type of bicycle handlebar is used only for fast runs and small trails. Also, the too primitive device of such a part does not allow the cyclist to change the position of the arms and back, which can cause numbness. It is worth mentioning that there is a straight V-shaped handlebar with additional support. It is best suited for extreme riding.
Standard handlebar for road racing. Outwardly, it has a flat base and special curved handles from the bottom, which look like ram’s horns. The special structure of this part allows the rider to adopt a sporty posture (when the back is horizontal), with the help of which you can fully use the muscles of the legs, overcome wind resistance and gain high speed.
Instead of grips, such handlebars are wrapped so that there is good grip. Some cyclists use a center-mounted aerodynamic handlebar to rest your elbows on so they don’t get too tired.
Bicycle handlebars: types and choices
Summer is the time of the year when a lot of people ride their bicycles. Although it is not as expensive transport as a car, it also needs to be monitored. It is necessary to lubricate the mechanisms and be fully equipped in order for the ride to be safe. Today we will talk about bicycle handlebars.
Features and purpose
The main purpose of the steering wheel is to adjust the direction while driving. With this piece, you can maintain balance and have a fulcrum. Without a handlebar, you will not be able to ride a bike comfortably. It can also accommodate hand brakes, signaling equipment, lights, grips and much more. In addition to the direct meaning, they also try to make this element of the bicycle beautiful.
A feature of this part is that it can be of different types and sizes, so the choice for the consumer is huge.
Now we will analyze all the main types of handlebars, including those for high-speed bicycles.
Handlebar for BMX
It differs in that it has a very small dimensions and is located at the level of the saddle. This is done so that the cyclist can have an almost upright posture. It is used for the stunts for which the BMX bike is famous.
Bicycle handlebars: device and choice
It only seems that nothing could be simpler than a bicycle handlebar. In fact, the steering wheel is a complex structure, with various configurations and variations. And also with its history of creation, moreover, quite meaningful.
Varieties of bicycle handlebars
The first bicycle rudders were made of wood and metal (most often steel). They were straight and attached to a special steering rack. Today, a bicycle handlebar has several modifications and countless variations. There are four main types, and each is intended for a specific ride:
- Drum. This handlebar is ideal for high-speed driving. The center section is straight and attached directly to the stem. The design is curved on both sides forward and downward, and also (in the lower position) towards the cyclist. There are several options for a drum wheel. Most of them are mounted on road bikes. The cyclist sits behind such a wheel leaning forward strongly, which significantly increases aerodynamics when moving.
- The steering wheel is straight. This is either completely straight or slightly curved at the handles, designed for mountain or hybrid bikes. She usually has large levers, which, coupled with a mid-slope landing, gives the cyclist maximum control over the movement. This is important in rough terrain conditions. But it is in such conditions that cross-country and extreme mountain biking competitions are held.
- Handlebar for bicycles ВМХ (Bicycle Moto Cross). This steering structure is ideal for cycling motocross models, which have very specific requirements for the strength and stiffness of the steering wheel, and most importantly. for the absolute controllability of the vehicle.
The handlebars are raised high in the stem above the place of its attachment. by 12, or even 20. But the spread of the handles in such models is noticeably less than in all other steering bicycle structures. The combination of these two circumstances provides the cyclist with a virtually motorcycle (that is, close to completely straight) landing. Thus, the hands of a person receive the least load and the greatest freedom for precise control of the vehicle. What is a prerequisite for the safe performance of the most difficult tricks characteristic of this sport.
The rigidity of such a steering structure is provided by a welded horizontal crosspiece that pulls the expansion of high handles into a stable reliable trapezoid.
How To Choose The Right Handlebars For Your Road Bike
In principle, the BMX handlebar can be installed on any bicycle model, if there is a need to radically change the type of rider’s fit.
- Handlebars for road as well as walking bike models
MTB Handlebars: What Width Is Right For You?
Both road and recreational models are certainly geared towards providing maximum comfort for cyclists. With low speeds and insignificant loads. And since people are unprepared to sit on such bicycles, the requirements for steering structures for these models are much softer than for all others.
The lift of these handlebars is greater than that of the sports handlebars. This provides a more or less vertical fit for the cyclist, as well as the relative ease of his vehicle control. In addition, such handlebars are wider than sports or road bars, as they are designed to reduce the effort spent on steering the bike.
Separately, it should be said about handlebars for children’s and teenage bike models. There, the steering structures have an even greater rise than that of road and pleasure bikes. After all, it is structurally provided for the expansion of the lifting range, as they say, for growth.
Bicycle handlebars: what is it for and how is it equipped
The bicycle wheel also has an official definition. It sounds like this: a bicycle handlebar is a significant part of a bicycle, with the help of which the cyclist maintains balance and also directs his vehicle in the right direction. In addition, it is the handlebar that is an additional point of support (along with the pedals and the saddle) when there is no movement.
And also on the bicycle handlebars, almost all additional equipment of a two-wheeled (and maybe three-wheeled) vehicle is traditionally attached. It can be:
- grips (special tubular nozzles at the ends for easy grip);
- the sound signal itself or its controls;
- shifters that control the transmission (if there is one);
- hand brake controls.
Elements are also mounted on the steering wheel, the presence of which is dictated by the current traffic rules:
- front reflector (white) and / or headlight;
- and rear-view mirrors.
Many cyclists, on the other hand, install bicycle computers on the handlebars, as well as holders for navigators, mobile phones, bottles and flasks with drinks, trunk, etc.
Choosing a bicycle handlebar
When choosing a bicycle handlebar for yourself, you must take into account a number of essential parameters:
- the width of the steering structure;
- installation diameter;
- bend angle.
Today the most popular steering diameters are 1 inch (25.4 mm), quarter inch (31.8 mm) and road diameter (26 mm). The first size is typical for road bikes and XC models, the second is for most mountain bikes.
It is also necessary to choose a steering tape or a special coating. Usually, soft grip tubes are put on the ends of the handlebars, and on road bikes, the ends of the handles are wrapped with a special tape.
As for the materials from which modern bicycle handlebars are made, these can be:
- Aluminium alloy;
- carbon fiber;
Tips for Choosing a Road Bike Handlebar
One of the main advantages of a bicycle is the handlebar. There are a lot of its varieties: with straight and curly handles; upholstery; functional.
Its main tasks are: comfort and convenience for the passenger; the ability to adjust; soft and high quality material. What should be a handlebar for a road bike?
- High strength steel. It is considered the most popular metal used for the handlebars of road and touring bicycles. Such steel does not require special maintenance, it is easy to operate, and has the ability to absorb vibration. However, the weight of this material is large, which increases the overall weight parameters;
- Lightweight aluminum. It is used for the manufacture of sports bike parts. It does not have the ability to absorb vibrations, which is a very significant disadvantage. Aluminum is much more expensive than steel;
- Carbon is a popular and modern material. Its price is slightly higher than that of steel or aluminum products. It is lightweight, has excellent vibration absorption and shock absorption. Manufactured with the latest technology.
For road models, the width should match the shoulder position. For medium to difficult routes use 27 ” rudders. Width may vary in size no more than 6 centimeters.
The market offers a variety of rudder shapes to choose from. Their characteristics depend on the style and type of riding.
The most famous are:
- Mountain. Allows you to maneuver on the roads, perform stunts. Refers to sports steering wheel. There are 2 types: flat; riser;
- Vertical. Suitable for walking at low speeds. Adjustable at a distance of 10, 15, 20 centimeters. It is also possible to attach them to cruise and children’s bicycles;
- Ram. Has original turns and bends of a metal pipe. Perfectly adjusts and relieves stress from shoulders and arms. Attaches to road or touring bikes;
- Butterfly. The shape resembles the wings of a butterfly, suitable for road models. On such a steering wheel it is possible to install various accessories (stands for a mobile phone, music speakers, bags);
- Mustache. Lightweight, suitable for long walks. It is recommended to install a speed switch on it, as well as brake levers;
- Bovine horns. Very convenient and comfortable to use. Chosen by the width of the shoulders. Suitable for track models in most cases.
How to choose a road bike handlebar?
When choosing, you should pay attention to some features:
- Steering wheel adjustment must be present;
- Behind him, the passenger should be comfortable, easy and simple;
- The material of manufacture must be of high quality and reliable;
- Should be able to combine various accessories;
- Should not harm health by generating tension in the back, shoulders and arms.
Adjusting the road bar
Adjusting the rudder includes the main task of adjusting and setting the height. The efficiency of the trip and the convenience of the passenger mainly depend on it. Finding the steering wheel in relation to the person’s arms and shoulders should not be too high or low.
Novice riders are advised to position this part just above the saddle height or at a level. This helps to position the torso correctly during the ride and distribute the weight (load) to the shock absorption. Correct distribution will help to reduce sensitivity on the road, not to feel strong vibration, which is directly reflected in the hands in the form of tension.
Hands and steering position should be at a certain degree. When holding the bike while riding, the elbow angle is 45 degrees. 90 degrees is the ratio of the steering section to the seat. Thanks to these rules, high speed and maneuverability are achieved, while the rider’s well-being will be normal and the load on the shock absorption will be optimal.
Landing features of a road cyclist
The width of the handlebars on a road bike approaches the width of a cyclist’s shoulders. This is understandable. The handlebar effort of a road bike is usually low due to travel on improved road surfaces.
With a small handlebar width, the rider’s position becomes more streamlined, air resistance decreases, which can significantly save energy at modern road bike speeds.
When riding a road bike, due to the design features, multiple handlebar grips can be used. One of the most common handlebar grips is the position of the hands on the brake levers.
This position of the hands allows you to quickly brake and quickly change gears.
A low grip allows for a slightly lower center of gravity and less air resistance. In some cases, the cyclist shifts forward, gets off the saddle and sits on the frame.
The high handlebar grip is used when the cyclist needs to get something out of his back s, drink, etc.
How to Choose the Right Handlebars? (Width, Reach, & Design)
There are several more grips that are used to rest and reduce the load during the trip.
Mountain biker landing features
Mountain bike landing has its own characteristics.
First of all, a mountain bike has a fairly wide handlebar. The handlebar width can be up to 65-75 cm. The 75 cm handlebar width is often typical for 29ers.
Therefore, in general, when choosing a frame length for a mountain bike, one must proceed from other criteria than when choosing a frame length for a road bike.
For mountain bikes, the distance from the saddle to the handlebars should be less than that of a road bike.
Another feature of the mountain bike is the handlebar grip.
As a rule, a mountain bike is designed with one correct handlebar grip. In this case, the thumbs are holding the steering wheel or shifting gears, the index fingers are on the brake levers, and the rest are firmly gripping the steering wheel.
Sometimes, for long trips, a kind of horns are placed on the ends of the steering wheel, but when the hands are on the horns, it is absolutely impossible to brake and change gears.
over, from the position of the hands on the horns it is impossible to smoothly and quickly transfer the hands into the correct grip. You have to take your hands off the steering wheel and at this moment you lose control.
Correct fit and frame size
Correct seating of the cyclist assumes that the cyclist does not carry the weight of his body.
If the seat is stretched and part of the weight falls on the cyclist’s arms, then this will lead to rapid arm fatigue and impairment of maneuverability.
With proper landing, the hands are engaged only in steering, steering, braking, gear shifting.
A cyclist can only transfer part of his weight to his arms when performing tricks, which is more typical for MTB and BMX.
Therefore, the correct size of the bike frame is important for the correct fit. over, not only its height, but also its length.
Manufacturers recommend this or that frame size for people of a certain height, or rather for a certain range.
Depending on the anatomical features, different people, even of the same height, will fit and will be optimal frames of different sizes.
It is especially necessary to carefully choose the size of the frame when growing, for which frames of several sizes may be suitable.
For example, for a cyclist 1.74 m tall, manufacturers recommend road bike frame sizes 55 and 58.
Likewise, for cyclists 1.80m tall, manufacturers recommend road bike frame sizes 58 and 61.
This is also the case in mountain biking.
By the way, for mountain bikes, manufacturers produce handlebars with a certain margin in width. If necessary, the width of the metal bar on a mountain bike can be reduced by sawing off the excess on each side. Reducing the width of the handlebars straightens the riding position while improving visibility.
The width of the handlebars of a mountain bike affects not only the rider’s position, but also his ability to ride in narrow places, along narrow bridges, between trees, etc.
In addition, the width of the handlebars of a mountain bike affects the ability to transport it by car and transport it in an elevator.
Handlebar width and landing features
The width of the handlebars directly determines the fit of the cyclist. Thus, the handlebars of road bicycles have a small width and complex shape, allowing the cyclist, if necessary, to use different seating options with different handlebar grips. Mountain bike handlebars usually only allow one grip.
For road bikes, designers have provided several options for gripping the handlebars;
One handlebar grip is available for MTB and BMX;
Narrow road bike handlebars streamline the rider’s seating position and improve overall aerodynamics;
The wide handlebar of the mountain bike improves off-road handling;
A wide handlebar requires a shorter frame;
The size of the frame must be selected individually, especially if the cyclist’s height allows, according to the manufacturer’s scale, the use of frame sizes of two sizes.