In fact, it is impossible to make a completely analogue of a chain cleaner, if you are not a master who would specialize in this. But it is quite possible to create options that allow you to work with cleaning without removing the chain. Here is some of them:
Chain washing machine (chain washing machine)
Bicycle chain problems are a common cause of two-wheeled vehicle breakdowns. To avoid this problem, it is recommended to clean the chain in a timely manner, which prolongs its service life and allows you to extend the life of the bike. To do this, you can use the tools at hand, but also a special cleaning device. You can even make it at home.
Advantages and features of using the machine
Bicycle chain cleaner and washer.
- We fill the plastic case with a special cleaning liquid.
- Attaching the device to the bike chain.
- Spinning the pedals.
- Gears begin to rotate, brushes. to perform a cleaning function.
- During the washing period, it is recommended to change the detergent inside the housing at least 2 times.
Thus, the cleaning period takes much less time than if it is done manually. Plus, you don’t have to put in too much effort — all you have to do is install the device. Also, this option significantly saves money on detergents. Even if you are using some expensive option, here you will need very little of it, so the packaging will last for a significant period of time. This device is not only extremely simple in the way of operation, installation and design, but also its
Cyclotech chain cleaner
- The cleaning is top notch. After using this cleaning machine, the chain looks like new, it is completely free of dirt and is ready for continuous operation.
- The most convenient and simple thing for washing even dried mud and sand.
- You can use absolutely any detergent. from the classic Fairy, diluted in water, to expensive, specialized options.
Of the disadvantages of this machine, which, by the way, can be attributed to almost all others, is that washing is possible only in street conditions. At home, you simply run the risk of staining all the walls with dirt. Do not forget to also clean the gears when cleaning the chain, which also gets dirt and grease adheres. To do this, when cleaning the chain, it is recommended to change the speed at the front and rear. During this procedure, you can both clean the gears and rinse the chain.
Bicycle chain cleaning: how, how often and why
The chain should be washed at least in order to increase the life of the chassis: the stars of the connecting rods and the cassette, the chain itself and the rollers of the rear derailleur.
And that’s not to mention the fact that a bike with a clean chain is much nicer, softer and quieter.
Many people just wipe the chain with a rag or brush it, but that’s not enough! Even if the outer surface of the chain is rubbed to a shine, this does not mean that there is no dirt, dust and grease residues inside it.
Cleaning the bike chain without a chain
If there is no chain or religion does not allow using it, you can use a plastic bottle, preferably with a wide neck. The only condition is that the chain must be with a lock in order to be able to remove it without restrictions.
- If, in the case of a chain chain, cleaning is carried out by water, a digizer and brushes, then in the case of removing the chain, cleaning depends on your efforts with which you will shake the bottle.
Take off the chain (preferably with gloves), pour water and a digizer into the bottle, tighten the lid tightly, and imagine yourself as a bartender Otherwise, the sequence of actions converges with the previous method.
Cleaning the bike chain. How to do it correctly?
- Brush. for pre-cleaning the chain, cassette and sprockets. Toothbrushes should not be used, they have a small surface and weak bristles. Better to get a special or, for example, a car brush.
- The chain-washing device is a special device for cleaning the chain, which is a reservoir with brushes, which is put on the chain and cleans it while the pedals are idling. Water and a detergent (digizer) are poured into the chain-washing machine.
- Digreeser. an agent that effectively removes grease residues, dirt.
- With a dry cloth. You will need it in order to wipe the chain after washing.
- Gloves. in case you do not want to wash your hands for a long time.
We clean the undercarriage from the stuck traces of adventures with a brush. You can use a rag for the chain, but it is not very convenient for the stars.
After we take a gripper, fill it with water and a digester. We put it on the chain in the place most convenient for you, for example: above the lower feather, close the lid and start idle pedaling in the opposite direction. During the rotation, you will see how much excess was inside your chain.
Change the water periodically. Fill in only water for the last time. to wash the digressor. After that, the chain should be wiped with a dry cloth. in order to wipe off the remaining water.
A dry cloth is useful for cleaning the chain. to wipe off any remaining water
is there such a thing as a good quality chain cleaning brush for under £1.50 inc P&P
A good example of what an ideal bicycle chain cleaning should be is in the following
Would you like to receive our articles on social networks? Subscribe to our channels in. Telegram and !
Bicycle chain cleaning: do it yourself from and to
Cleaning your bike chain should be done regularly to get rid of unpleasant sound, maintain a neat appearance and most importantly. extend the life of the chain and sprockets.
The procedure for cleaning the bicycle chain is not complicated, it is quite within the power of everyone. There are three main approaches:
- manual express cleaning of the bicycle chain with rags and water;
- manual cleaning of the bicycle chain with a brush and liquid detergent;
- mechanized cleaning of the bicycle chain in a special design machine.
In the first and last cases, the work is carried out without removing the chain from the bicycle, in the second approach, both options can be. with and without removal. In any case, it is worth paying due attention to the asterisks, also completely cleaning them from contamination.
If, after cleaning, lubrication follows, then you need to maintain a pause before this, sufficient for complete drying. Residual moisture after cleaning will have an extremely negative effect on the penetrating action of the lubricant and its adhesion.
Do-it-yourself cleaning of the bike chain with removal gives, perhaps, the best result in cases of neglected dirt. For washing, the chain is usually opened in a special link-lock, or by knocking out a pin. Mechanical action contributes to the removal of dirt from hard-to-reach places:
- brush application;
- giving mobility to each link in the chain, especially when immersed and actively rinsed in a cleaning liquid.
Rinsing should be carried out with a periodic change of liquid and until it remains practically clean after the next cycle.
The simplest process hardly requires detailing, however, when describing the necessary accessories further in the text, we will add practically useful nuances to understand the essence of the work and its best performance.
Bicycle chain cleaner can be used in different ways, depending on availability and budget. The most popular are:
- solvents (646, white spirit, acetone and others);
- household detergents with a pronounced anti-fat effect (Fairy and the like);
- penetrating lubricants and cleaners from the range of auto chemistry (WD-40, Liquid Key, carburetor cleaner and other similar compounds);
- special liquids for cleaning a bicycle or motorcycle chain (Motul C1 Chain Clean and others).
The use of kerosene, gasoline, solvents and some other products has the disadvantage of a residual pungent odor. In order to resolve this situation, you can apply a two-stage washing:
- first in an inexpensive active purifier with a pungent odor (kerosene or others), but with a maximum cleansing effect;
- then in an aqueous solution with a minimum amount of household detergent with a pleasant smell (Fairy or other), to eliminate the smell of the main detergent composition.
Cleaning the bicycle chain using kerosene, gasoline, solvents and similar liquids should be done in a ventilated area or outdoors, and, also, away from open flames and other sources of ignition.
The container for rinsing the chain with the option with its removal can be of two types:
- a plastic bottle with a closed lid for completely immersing the chain inside, followed by intensive manual shaking, during which the chain moves inside, and its links change their relative position and are freed from contamination;
- open container in which you can manually touch the chain immersed in liquid and rinse it for cleaning.
Aged chain lubricants can resist dissolution for a long time. In this case, you need to lower the chain into the liquid and allow time for souring, repeating the soaking breaks for 10-15 minutes between active rinsing cycles. Do not touch the remnants of dirt with sharp objects.
If the bicycle chain is cleaned with your own hands without removing it, then you need a basin to catch drops of liquid and dirt falling and flying from the brush.
If water or an aqueous solution was used to clean the bike chain, additional measures must be taken at the final stage to intensively dry in order to prevent corrosion:
- wipe with a rag;
- dry with a hairdryer;
- treat the chain with WD-40 or another moisture-displacing agent.
Bicycle chain brush
The bicycle chain brush can be used in one of three types: a special brush, a regular toothbrush, or a paint brush of a suitable size. The bristles need increased rigidity. It is strongly discouraged to use products with metal hairs: they scratch the factory coating of the chain, poorly clean dirt from the cracks, and broken hairs get stuck in them. When choosing a brush for cleaning the bicycle chain, you should give preference to versions with a plastic handle that is resistant to the applied liquid.
A special device for cleaning the bicycle chain is a small box, most often made of translucent plastic. Inside there are rollers with brushes (usually three), between which a chain is drawn.
Having thrown off the top cover, the device is brought from below close to the lower branch of the chain, orienting the position of the corresponding cutouts in the housing for the chain and the chain itself. Close the lid by enclosing the chain. A cleaning liquid is poured into the lower part of the device (bath) or a through channel is provided. Holding the machine or fixing it from movement by binding to the frame, give the chain movement by rotating the pedals. Moving relative to the body of the machine, the chain bends in the links when passing through the rollers, which helps to free it from dirt, taking into account the combination of mechanical action and the action of the cleaning fluid.
There are a lot of models of machines for cleaning the bicycle chain in different designs, configurations and price segments on the market. You can choose devices according to your budget under the brands Kettenmax, Barbieri, Bike Hand, Birzman and others.
The advantages of machines for cleaning the bicycle chain include the speed of the process, the low need for cleaning fluid and the relative cleanliness of the work (the closed case does not allow the splashing of dirt and liquid). The disadvantage is the price.
Of course, such a machine only works with a chain. Sprockets must be manually cleaned.
Rear trolley for cleaning the bike chain
It is more convenient to clean the bicycle chain without removing it if there is a rear slide (stand), which allows you to hold the bicycle in place vertically with the rear wheel hanging, turning it by pedaling as needed. The variant with rolling under the rear wheel compares favorably with the common setting of the bicycle upside down on the handlebars and seat, in that the chain is in the lower position and drops of washing liquid and dirt fall less on the seat, frame and other parts of the bike.
How To Get A Perfectly Clean Chain Drivetrain | Mountain Bike Maintenance
Other accessories for cleaning the bicycle chain
In addition to the basic accessories listed above, it will be useful to have:
- to protect hands from dirt and odors. rubber gloves resistant to the applied liquid;
- to protect the floor of the room from dirt. a suitable sheet of cardboard, cellophane film or other covering material;
- for wiping stars, chains, frames and wheels. rags;
- for intensive non-contact drying of the chain when using water. electric hairdryer.
How often should the bike chain be cleaned?
The bike chain should be cleaned whenever it gets dirty. The ingress of solid particles into friction pairs leads to intensive wear of the parts. the chain itself and the sprockets (cassettes). And if the chain is relatively affordable in price, then replacing the cassette will cost a decent amount.
Let’s highlight the following conditions for the need to clean the bicycle chain:
- at the beginning of the operating season (including after purchase);
- every 100 kilometers, even if the operation took place in a relatively clean environment;
- every time before lubricating the bike chain;
- every time after driving in rain or snow;
- every time after driving in dusty conditions, moving on sandy surfaces and mud;
- at the end of the season, before conservation and storage.
As you can see, the rule of frequency should be adhered to, and unscheduled cleaning should be performed, if necessary, according to the actual condition or after certain unfavorable operating conditions.
Timely cleaning and lubrication of the bicycle chain can significantly extend the life of the bicycle chain and sprockets (cassettes). Doing this with your own hands is not difficult. This should be done regularly and every time after pollution.